Despite being hit on the hand by a pitch last week, Donovan Hand (3.41 ERA, 3.91 FIP) is back on the mound today for the Brewers. Over four starts this season, he has yet to allow more than three runs. Hand hasn't been stretched out enough to pitch deep into a game, either, with his two longest starts lasting five innings.
Now that Hand is a full-time member of the rotation, he should eventually be able to pitch more innings. It probably won't happen now, or for the next couple of starts, but eventually.
Hand hasn't been a big strikeout guy, with a 4.9 K/9 this season. His BB/9 of 2.2 and H/9 of 9.5 aren't great by any means, but they have gotten him by.
Hand has never faced a current Rockies hitter.
For Colorado, former top prospect and personal favorite Jhoulys Chacin (3.53 ERA, 3.09 FIP) will take the mound. After a down year in 2012, Chacin has been pretty good this year with 11 quality starts in 19 outings. Over his last eight starts, he has a 2.19 ERA with a .611 opponent OPS.
Chacin has had troubles with walks in the past, consistently posting 4+ BB/9s. However, he seems to have really reined in his control and has brought his BB/9 down to 2.70. His strikeout numbers are decidedly mediocre, but he has done well over his career at keeping the number of hits against him in check. He has also been extremely tough to hit homers against this year. While nowhere near a staff ace, Chacin has developed into a nice pitcher in his own right.
The only Brewer he has faced ten times is Rickie Weeks, who has hit .200/.200/.300 in 10 PA.
2B Weeks RF Aoki C Lucroy CF Gomez LF Gindl 3B Betancourt 1B Francisco SS Bianchi P Hand
In the bullpen:
- Brandon Kintzler pitched 1.2 innings (21) yesterday.
- John Axford pitched one inning (19) yesterday.
- Jim Henderson pitched one inning (21) yesterday.
- Rob Wooten pitched 2.1 innings (27 pitches) Friday.
- Burke Badenhop pitched two innings (23 pitches) Friday.
- Alfredo Figaro pitched 2.1 innings (33 pitches) Thursday.
- Michael Gonzalez pitched one inning (17 pitches) Thursday.
- Tyler Thornburg pitched 4 innings (79 pitches) Tuesday.