- While there are still spots to fill in the bullpen, Adam McCalvy notes that Doug Melvin is waiting until later in the offseason to fill those spots. McCalvy also notes that despite the big moves by the Cubs, the Brewers won't be swayed to respond with big moves of their own.
- The Brewer Nation blog noted that there were some talks going on between the Red Sox and Brewers yesterday, but appear to be off after the Red Sox acquired Wade Miley.
- The Rule 5 Draft is this morning, and Derek looked through the list of available players for some interesting ones that the Brewers could draft. However, it appears that the Brewers will not make a selection this morning.
- Extensions during Spring Training may be coming to an end for the Brewers. After Segura's drop in production in 2014 following some Spring Training contract negotiations, Doug Melvin says that he won't be offering extensions during Spring Training anymore.
- "Santa Hank" made an appearance at the Wisconsin Humane Society earlier today to deliver toys & supplies. Cait Covers the Bases has some pictures from his visit.
NL Central Update
- The Pirates made a trade yesterday, acquiring Antonio Bastardo from the Phillies. Scott Gelman of MLB Daily Dish has the details.
- Mike Bauman of MLB.com believes that the NL Central could be a five-team race in 2015 following the series of moves that the Cubs have made.
- The Dodgers shifted into overdrive yesterday and dominated the Winter Meetings, and MLB Daily Dish has the full details on the moves. In a busy day of trades & signings, they acquired:
- Brandon McCarthy (free agent signing)
- Jimmy Rollins (from Phillies)
- Howie Kendrick (from Angels)
- Yasmani Grandal (from Padres)
- Joe Wieland (from Padres)
- Zach Elfin (from Padres)
- Chris Hatcher (from Marlins)
- Austin Barnes (from Marlins)
- Kike Hernandez (from Marlins)
- Andrew Heaney (from Marlins)
In addition, they traded away:
- Dee Gordon (to Marlins)
- Dan Haren (to Marlins)
- Miguel Rojas (to Marlins)
- Matt Kemp (to Padres)
- Tim Federowicz (to Padres)
- Andrew Heaney (to Angels)
- Two unknown pitching prospects (to Phillies)
- Mark Polishuk of MLB Trade Rumors also notes that the Dodgers and Phillies had discussed a Chase Utley trade as well, but those talks didn't go anywhere.
- Another deal was finalized this morning as well. The Tigers acquired Yoenis Cespedes from the Red Sox for Rick Porcello. Other players figure to be involved in the deal as well.
- The Red Sox also acquired Wade Miley from the Diamondbacks for three minor-league prospects.
- The Angels made another trade on Wednesday as well, acquiring Josh Rutledge from the Rockies for right-hander Jairo Diaz.
- The Astros signed two relievers, adding both Luke Gregerson and Pat Neshek to their bullpen.
- MLB.com has 30 notes for the 30 MLB teams as the Winter Meetings come to a close.
- How did the implementation of instant replay affect ejections in 2014? Scott Lindholm of Beyond the Box Score compares the ejection numbers from 2013 & 2014.