WP: Jason Vargas (2-0)
LP: Matt Garza (1-3)
SV: Greg Holland (1)
HR: Ryan Braun (3), Billy Butler (1)
I was at the game, so I didn't get the full perspective of everything, but here is what I took from the game:
- Ryan Braun made his first appearance there since his suspension and the crowd was generally positive towards him. It also helped that he smoked his first hit into right center field for a double and then crushed a home run out to center field for three of the Brewers four runs.
- The fourth inning was the key inning for the Royals, as they responded to Braun's home run with some small ball and a little help from the Brewers. They scored three runs from on three singles, a walk, a RBI groundout, a wild pitch, and an error. It ended up being a 39-pitch inning that took a while (not sure how long, but long enough for me to walk for a while, get some food, and get back to my seat in time to see the pitching change).
- Matt Garza didn't have a horrible game, but didn't get a lot of help from the defense either. In 3.2 innings, he allowed four runs (only two earned) on six hits and two walks. He only had one strikeout.
- In the bullpen, Tyler Thornburg also allowed a run on a home run, and also allowed a hit in the fourth that scored an inherited runner. The rest of the bullpen pitched well, led by Wei-Chung Wang's two perfect innings on 19 pitches.
- Beyond Braun, the rest of the offense was pretty stagnant. The only other run was scored in the eighth inning, when Logan Schafer got a gift double on a routine pop-up (not scored as an error), and Elian Herrera drove him in with a single.
- AJ Bombers has some good food. I got a great burger for $7, well worth the cost. Also got some tots that were cooked well but nothing special, and a concrete mixer that was small but good. It's definitely worth trying if you get the chance at Miller Park.
The Brewers have one more exhibition game at Miller Park tomorrow against the Royals. Expected starters are Yordano Ventura and Marco Estrada, and first pitch is at 1:10 pm.