Home runs doomed the Brewers as the Reds scored five runs off of three home runs. The bullpen fell apart in the eighth inning as well, with Jim Henderson and Rob Wooten combining to allow five runs. Marco Estrada put together another quality start with six innings of three-run baseball. However, it was a rough start beyond that with six hits, four walks, and two home runs allowed. Carlos Gomez collected two RBI in the loss, and also robbed a home run from Joey Votto in the first inning.
The Brewers made a roster move, recalling Rob Wooten and optioning Elian Herrera.
Following the Cardinals series, the Brewers made a roster move to fortify their bullpen. They recalled Rob Wooten from Triple-A Nashville and optioned Elian Herrera there. With several extra-inning games coming up recently, the Brewers needed to make a move to prevent the bullpen from getting overworked. This is Wooten's second stint on the roster, and he is just here to provide another option for the team. It could be a quick trip if the Brewers need the roster spot on Saturday when Logan Schafer returns. We will see what happens on Saturday.
There are several updates from the end of the first month of the minor league system.
As the month of May begins, we are also through the first month of the minor league season. There were plenty of updates from both BCB and other sites, so let's take a minute and go through some of those:
- Alec Dopp looks through the minor leagues and provides an update on the hot and cold players from the month of April.
- Kyle attended the Timber Rattlers double-header, and has a notebook from the games, as well as a recap of the results from Thursday.
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects put together a progress report from the first month of the minor league season. He also has a photo gallery from Wednesday's doubleheader for the Timber Rattlers.
- Jay D of Reviewing the Brew reviewed the different third base prospects through the Brewers system.
- Kevin Kimmes of Cream City Cables has an interview with Johnny Davis of the Timber Rattlers.
- Yesterday's game featured the first start in right field for Mark Reynolds, and Adam McCalvy has notes on the occasion.
- He also has updates on Ryan Braun and Matt Garza, who are progressing in recovery of their injuries.
- Carlos Gomez started his month of May by robbing Joey Votto of a home run for the second time.
- Joe Torre will be added to the Milwaukee Braves Honor Roll next week, and Spencer Fordin of Brewers.com has details on the ceremony.
- Curt Hogg of Disciples of Uecker is preparing for the Brewers eventual regression with his predictions on what he thinks their final stats will be.
- Tony Blengino of FanGraphs looks at starters and the bullpen across baseball after the first month of the season and draws some conclusions from what we have seen so far.
- John & Cait have some details on a few upcoming tickets deals for Brewers gamesv.
Minor League Standings
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||15-12||Nashville 6, New Orleans 5||
Friday: Iowa @ Nashville
Saturday: Iowa @ Nashville
Sunday: Iowa @ Nashville
|Huntsville Stars||AA||17-11||Huntsville 5, Montgomery 2
Montgomery 7, Huntsville 3
Friday: Huntsville @ Montgomery
Saturday: Huntsville @ Montgomery
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||14-12||Brevard County 4, Tampa 0
(Suspended in 4th Inning,
Resumes on Friday)
Friday: Tampa @ Brevard County
Saturday: Tampa @ Brevard County
Sunday: Clearwater @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||12-14||Burlington 6, Wisconsin 4
Wisconsin 3, Burlington 2
Friday: Clinton @ Wisconsin
Saturday: Clinton @ Wisconsin
Sunday: Clinton @ Wisconsin
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Baltimore 5, Pittsburgh 1: Steve Pearce went 3-for-4 with two RBI to lead the Orioles in the first game of their doubleheader. Pedro Alvarez went 3-for-5 for the Pirates and drove in their only run.
- Baltimore 6, Pittsburgh 5: Baltimore rallied from a 4-0 deficit with four runs in the sixth inning, rallied again with another run in the seventh inning, and then walked off on Matt Wieters' tenth inning leadoff home run.
- Cardinals and Cubs had the day off.
This Weekend's Games
- Cardinals @ Cubs
Friday: Adam Waingwright vs. Travis Wood - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Michael Wacha vs. Jake Arrieta - 12:05 pm
Sunday: Lance Lynn vs. Jason Hammel - 7:05 pm
- Blue Jays @ Pirates
Friday: Brandon Morrow vs. Gerrit Cole - 6:05 pm
Saturday: R.A. Dickey vs. Francisco Liriano - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Dustin McGowan vs. Edinson Volquez - 12:35 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers continue their four-game series in Cincinnati over the weekend. Yesterday, Derek posted a preview of the current series. Here are the weekend's matchups:
Friday: Wily Peralta vs. Mike Leake
Saturday: Yovani Gallardo vs. Johnny Cueto
Sunday: Kyle Lohse vs. Alfredo Simon