The Brewers returned to Miller Park and found their offense there. Led by three RBI from Carlos Gomez and two from Jean Segura and Martin Maldonado, the Brewers scored eight runs off of the Arizona pitchers. Meanwhile, Matt Garza put together a quality start with three runs allowed in six innings.
The Brewers have eight pitchers in franchise history born in Mexico.
Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, an important holiday for Mexico. It also provided an opportunity to look at Mexico-born pitchers that have pitched in the major leagues. Noah noted that 114 players in the history of MLB were born in Mexico, and eight have played for the Brewers. This includes current pitchers Yovani Gallardo and Marco Estrada. It's a nice quick history lesson to look at some of these players from Mexico that have had an impact on the Brewers franchise.
Brewers vs. Diamondbacks Series
- Before yesterday's game, Derek previewed the Brewers vs. Diamondbacks series.
- Is the series against the Diamondbacks a must-win series? Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker considers that possibility.
- The Brewers came back to Miller Park searching for offense. Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker looks at places in the offense where the Brewers could improve.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com has some quotes from Ron Roenicke about how the Brewers need to improve on offense.
- ESPN held the Brewers in their #1 spot.
- Sports Illustrated raised the Brewers one spot to #2.
- Justin Schultz of Reviewing the Brew kept the Brewers steady at #2.
- Fox Sports dropped the Brewers one spot to #2.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland dropped the Brewers one spot to #4.
- As the Brewers started the season strong, it affected their playoff odds quite a bit. Over on FanGraphs, Jeff Sullivan looks at how playoff odds have changed one month into the season.
- Carlos Gomez's appeal hearing will happen on Friday, but he may not begin serving it right away. The Brewer Nation blog reports that it could take several days from the hearing before a ruling is made.
- In the top of the fourth inning, Ron Roenicke challenged a close play at first base. His challenge was successful, and it was his third successful challenge this year.
- Martin Maldonado's inning in relief against the Cardinals was the first in a few years for the team. Adam Wieser of Disciples of Uecker looks at all of the different position players who pitched an inning in Brewers history.
- John & Cait have details on the specials for this series at Miller Park: Mahi Mahi Tacos at the Double Clutch, and Luc's Ragin' Cajun at AJ Bombers.
- Jess Lemont of The Brewers Bar drew a picture of a "Garden League" situation.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||18-13||Iowa 12, Nashville 3||Nashville @ Colorado Springs|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||20-11||Huntsville 2, Jackson 0||Jackson @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||16-14||Clearwater 5, Brevard County 3||Clearwater @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||13-17||Kane County 8, Wisconsin 4||Wisconsin @ Kane County|
News & Notes
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects reports that three Brewers prospects earned honors in their respective leagues.
- Miller Park will host a Midwest League game on May 24th between the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and the Beloit Snappers. John & Cait have details on tickets for the game.
- Jim Callis of MLB.com profiles Brewers prospect Michael Reed after a good week for the Timber Rattlers.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Giants 11, Pirates 10
- Cardinals 4, Braves 3
- White Sox 3, Cubs 1
- Reds had the day off.
- Giants (Tim Hudson) @ Pirates (Charlie Morton) - 6:05 pm
- Reds (Homer Bailey) @ Red Sox (Felix Doubront) - 6:10 pm
- Cardinals (Tyler Lyons) @ Braves (Gavin Floyd) - 6:10 pm
- White Sox (Hector Noesi) @ Cubs (Edwin Jackson) - 7:05 pm
The Brewers continue their three-game series against the Diamondbacks tonight. Josh Collmenter will start for the Diamondbacks, and Marco Estrada will make the start for the Brewers. First pitch is at 7:10 pm and MLB.com has a preview of the game.