The Diamondbacks built an early 3-0 lead, and Kyle Lohse allowed four runs (three earned) in six innings of work. The Diamondbacks took a 4-2 lead into the seventh inning, with both Brewers runs coming on solo home runs. In the seventh inning, the lead was closed to 4-3 with a Jean Segura triple and Elian Herrera sacrifice fly, and then Lyle Overbay singled and Scooter Gennett doubled to put runners on second and third. Ryan Braun followed and got two pitches thrown at him, the first going behind and the second hitting him in the left hip. Arizona pitcher Evan Marshall was ejected, and Brad Ziegler came in to pitch to Jonathan Lucroy. Lucroy hit the first pitch out of the park for a grand slam, giving the Brewers a 7-4 lead. Francisco Rodriguez would give up a run in the ninth, but the Brewers would hold on after that to win 7-5.
Brad Mills was traded to Oakland.
Brad Mills opt-out date came on Sunday, and the Brewers offered him to all other MLB teams as part of his contract. One team took the Brewers up on their offer, and Brad Mills was sent to Oakland for $1. We don't know the full reasons behind this, but what was obvious was that Mills didn't have a spot in Milwaukee. At best, he was eighth on the starting pitcher depth chart in Milwuakee. This will give him a chance to catch on somewhere else, and at least the Brewers sent him somewhere that he won't be competing against them.
- Noah got the opportunity to interview Brewers third-round pick Cy Sneed, and posted a transcript of the conversation yesterday.
- The All-Star Roster Vote series continued yesterday with the outfield.
- Carlos Gomez was held out of the lineup for the second straight day. While he could have played, the Brewers are being very cautious with him for now.
- Ben Tannenbaum of The Brewers Bar evaluates the Brewers outfield and how they have performed this season.
- The trade deadline is still a month and a half away, but it's not too early to start speculating. Wick Terrell of MLB Daily Dish looks at what the Brewers could trade for before the deadline.
- Dave Cameron of FanGraphs notes that Brad Mills is the definition of "replacement level".
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||38-35||Las Vegas 8, Nashville 7||Nashville @ Las Vegas|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||46-24||All-Star Break|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||35-30||Brevard County 10, Dunedin 5||Dunedin @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||36-33||All-Star Break|
|DSL Brewers||R||10-5||DSL Brewers 14, DSL Braves 8||DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers|
|Helena Brewers||R||1-1||Helena 9, Missoula 2||Missoula @ Helena|
News & Notes
- Jay D of Reviewing the Brew provides an update on Jimmy Nelson in Nashville.
- Meanwhile, Caitlin Swieca of Brewers.com looks at the new approach the Brewers are taking towards pitching.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Marlins (Nathan Eovaldi) - 11:40 am
- Mets (Bartolo Colon) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 12:45 pm
- Reds (Alfredo Simon) @ Pirates (Edinson Volquez) - 6:05 pm
Game three of the series will take place this evening. Matt Garza gets the start for the Brewers, and Wade Miley starts for the Diamondbacks after being pushed back a day. First pitch is at 8:40 pm, and Grace Raynor of MLB.com has the preview.