WP: Matt Garza (4-4)
LP: Edinson Volquez (3-5)
MVP: Khris Davis (+.252)
LVP: Matt Garza (-.096)
It's a late-recap type of night, so let's hit the main points from the game:
- Brewers took an early 1-0 lead in the first on a sacrifice fly from Jonathan Lucroy.
- Pirates took the lead with two runs in the third from Pedro Alvarez.
- Khris Davis tied the game in the fourth with an RBI double to make it 2-2.
- Lyle Overbay put the Brewers ahead for good later in the fourth with an RBI single.
- Pirates closed it to 4-3 with a run scoring on a double play in the sixth.
- Brewers scored four in the eighth to increase the lead to 8-3, with RBIs from Rickie Weeks, Jean Segura, and Ryan Braun.
- Brewers tack on one more in the ninth from an Irving Falu sacrifice fly.
- Jonathan Lucroy and Khris Davis each went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored to lead the offense.
- Matt Garza had a rough (but quality) start, pitching six innings and allowing six hits, five walks, and three runs (all earned) with only one strikeout.
- Rob Wooten, Will Smith, and Brandon Kintzler each pitched scoreless innings to close out the game.
The series concludes tomorrow afternoon. Yovani Gallardo faces Jeff Locke in the rubber match. First pitch is at 12:35 pm.