The Brewers are off as the All-Star Break is in progress. Last night, Yoenis Cespedes won the Home Run Derby, beating Todd Frazier in the finals to win the event in back-to-back years.
The Brewers remain in trade rumors for Jake Peavy.
As the trade deadline gets closer, one rumor that won't go away is the Brewers interest in Jake Peavy. Yesterday, Derek found another report that the Brewers are one of three teams still in on Peavy. He used this opportunity to discuss how realistic it would be for the Brewers to trade for Peavy, as well as if he would be an upgrade in the rotation. The conclusion Derek came to is that the upgrade wouldn't be worth it and the cost, regardless of how minor it would be, would still be too high. Sticking with what the Brewers have for now is probably the best option. They have seven good rotation candidates right now: the five currently in the rotation, plus Marco Estrada in the bullpen and Mike Fiers in Nashville. Peavy just wouldn't provide enough to be worth the trade.
- With the season at the midway point, Alec revised his top Brewers prospect list and presented his new top 25 prospect list as of the midway point of the season.
- It may be a coincidence that Carlos Gomez's first two All-Star appearances are hosted by the previous two teams he played for (Mets & Twins), but it's one Gomez plans to take advantage of. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how Gomez, as well as the other Brewers all-stars, are approaching this event.
- Francisco Rodriguez went from stepping on a cactus in spring training to being in the All-Star game in July. Adam McCalvy looks at the journey that Rodriguez has taken this year.
- Over on FanGraphs, Jeff Sullivan analyzes the remaining strength-of-schedule for all of the MLB teams, noting the Cardinals favorable schedule and the Brewers less favorable schedule.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||51-47||All-Star Break|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||58-37||Huntsville 7, Chattanooga 1||OFF|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||49-37||Chalotte @ Brevard County (PPD)||OFF|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||49-44||Wisconsin 8, Quad Cities 4||OFF|
|DSL Brewers||R||18-20||DSL Angels 5, DSL Brewers 3||DSL Tigers @ DSL Brewers|
|Helena Brewers||R||11-17||Grand Junction 13, Helena 5||OFF|
News & Notes
- Victor Roache of Brevard County was named the Florida State League player of the week.
- Clint Coulter hit a grand slam in last night's game against Quad Cities, and Kevin Kimmes of Cream Cities Cables notes that Coulter has a chance to break a few records.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
The All-Star Game will take place in Minneapolis tonight. Carlos Gomez, Aramis Ramirez, and Jonathan Lucroy will start for the National League, and Francisco Rodriguez may pitch in relief.