It was the Reds who were able to do nothing right last night. Several misplays by the Reds in the third and fourth innings got the Brewers five runs, and it was more than enough to back up Wily Peralta's seven innings where he gave up only one run. Will Smith gave up the other on a solo home run, and Francisco Rodriguez shut the game down.
Jeremy Jeffress is a Brewer again.
Earlier this year, the Brewers signed Jeremy Jeffress to a minor-league deal to see what he still had. After spending a few months with Nashville dominating the competition, the Brewers called him up, sending Rob Wooten down to Nashville to clear a space. Jeffress had been a top prospect in his original time with the Brewers, but repeated violations of the minor league drug program had put his career in jeopardy. He was traded to Kansas City, and ended up in Toronto for a while before being waived. He's back in Milwaukee now, and has a chance to get his career back on track here.
More from BCB
- Derek previewed the Brewers vs. Reds series.
- The competitive balance lottery is tomorrow, and Derek has an explanation on why it is important for the Brewers.
- Could Ryan Howard be a trade target for the Brewers? Possibly, but Noah explains why the move wouldn't make sense.
- ESPN has the Brewers at #10.
- SI.com also placed the Brewers at #10.
- MLB.com put the Brewers at #11 in their rankings.
- FOX Sports dropped the Brewers all the way to #13.
- Miller Park suffered damage from a fire early Monday morning, but was mostly back to normal for the game yesterday.
- Adam McCalvy notes that Gilbert Lara paid a visit to Miller Park yesterday, and has some details on the visit.
- With his HBP yesterday, Aramis Ramirez entered the top 50 in career HBP. Plunk Everyone has more details on the plunk.
- Adam Wieser of Disciples of Uecker has a brief history of short Brewers starts.
- Jonathan Lucroy will be signing autographs for free on Friday. The Brewer Nation blog has details on the event.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||53-50||Colorado Springs 5, Nashville 2||Colorado Springs @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||62-39||Huntsville 5, Jackson 2||Huntsville @ Jackson|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||51-41||Fort Myers 4, Brevard County 2||Brevard County @ Fort Myers|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||52-47||Wisconsin 5, Dayton 4||OFF|
|DSL Brewers||R||19-24||DSL Rangers2 8, DSL Brewers 1||DSL Brewers @ DSL Rangers2|
|Helena Brewers||R||13-21||Grand Junction 11, Helena 7||Grand Junction @ Helena|
|AZL Brewers||R||13-12||AZL Padres 10, AZL Brewers 3||AZL Padres @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- With his promotion here, Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has a profile on Jeremy Jeffress. He was also in attendance for Monday's Timber Rattlers game and has a photo gallery from the game.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Dodgers 5, Pirates 2
- Cardinals and Cubs had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Rays (Jake Odorizzi) @ Cardinals (Adam Wainwright) - 7:15 pm
- Dodgers (Josh Beckett) @ Pirates (Vance Worley) - 6:05 pm
- Padres (Eric Stults) @ Cubs (Kyle Hendricks) - 7:05 pm
Yesterday's win put the Brewers back in sole possession of first place, but they'll have to keep winning to guarantee they will stay there. Tonight is game 2 of the series against the Reds, and it will feature Jimmy Nelson pitching against Homer Bailey. First pitch is at 7:10 pm, and Alec Shirkey of MLB.com has the preview.