Jimmy Nelson recovered from his rough start before the All-Star Break, pitching six innings and allowing three runs. It kept the Brewers even for most of the game, as they hit three solo home runs in the first few innings. Jonathan Lucroy ended up being the hero of the day, hitting two in the game, including a solo home run in the ninth to send the Brewers home winners.
Stories from BCB
- Could Cliff Lee be a possible target for the Brewers? Noah covered a new rumor that came up yesterday about the possible target.
- Jonathan Lucroy had a great day yesterday, but it hasn't been good for him lately. He has been in a funk lately, but wants to play through it.
- The Brewers have a new leader in the clubhouse: Jonathan Lucroy. Jason Catania of Bleacher Report looks at how the catcher has become the heart of the team.
- Should the Brewers go for it this year? Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker asks that question.
- Meanwhile, Ron Roenicke told Adam McCalvy that he likes the current construction of the team.
- Ben Tannenbaum of The Brewers Bar looks at possible trade targets if the Brewers want to upgrade at shortstop.
- Scooter Gennett left last night's game with a tight right quad, and is day to day for now. He's expected to be out of the starting lineup on Wednesday.
- If you were compared to one 2014 Brewer, who would it be? Miller Park Drunk has a quiz to determine which Brewer you would be.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||54-50||Nashville 7, Colorado Springs 5||Colorado Springs @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||62-40||Jackson 5, Huntsville 2||Huntsville @ Jackson|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||51-42||Fort Myers 7, Brevard County 6||Brevard County @ Fort Myers|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||52-47||OFF||Wisconsin @ Lake County|
|DSL Brewers||R||20-24||DSL Brewers 2, DSL Rangers2 1||DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves|
|Helena Brewers||R||13-22||Grand Junction 8, Helena 7||Helena @ Great Falls|
|AZL Brewers||R||13-13||AZL Padres 20, AZL Brewers 3||AZL Athletics @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Clint Coulter got hit in the face by a pitch on Sunday, but he appears to have escaped any major injuries. Kevin Kimmes of Cream City Cables notes he is day-to-day for now.
- Miller Park Prospects released their new top 40 prospects yesterday, and Brad Krause has a rundown of the list.
- Carson Cistulli of FanGraphs lists his top 10 prospects by 2014 projected WAR, and one Brewers prospect makes the list.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
Today's Division Games
- Dodgers (Dan Haren) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Rays (Alex Cobb) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 6:15 pm
- Padres (Ian Kennedy) @ Cubs (Tsuyoshi Yoda) - 7:05 pm
The Brewers go for the series sweep this afternoon against the Reds. They will send Kyle Lohse to the mound to try for the sweep, and Mike Leake will oppose for the Reds. First pitch is at 1:10 pm, and Manny Randhawa of MLB.com has the preview.