Kyle Lohse pitched another good game, holding the Rays two two runs in seven innings of work. However, the offense remained quiet again, only managing one run off of Rays starter Jake Odorizzi, which came on a Mark Reynolds home run. Odorizzi kept the Brewers in check, pitching seven innings and allowing only three hits and one run.
Trade Deadline discussion is heating up.
The non-waiver trade deadline is on Thursday afternoon, and as it gets closer, the talk around trades just continues to grow more and more. Unlike previous years where they have been in contention, trade talk around the Brewers hasn't been as intense. There are reasons behind that, and Derek looked at those reasons yesterday. Of course, that hasn't stopped conversation about potential trades. Another report came out yesterday that said the Brewers are looking at Rays starting pitcher David Price. It's a trade that probably won't happen, yet it keeps coming up as the deadline gets closer. Maybe there is nothing behind it, but it's not going to go away until the deadline passes.
Prospect Nick Delmonico got a 50 game suspension.
The other big news of the day came from the minor leagues, where third base prospect Nick Delmonico get a 50 game suspension after a positive test for amphetamines. Delmonico has been dealing with personal issues all season, which delayed his start to the season and caused him to leave the team recently as well. We don't know what the personal issues are, or if they are related to this positive test. For now, Delmonico will be out for the rest of the season, as well as the start of next season.
More from BCB
- Derek put together a preview of the Brewers-Rays series.
- Kyle asked if the Brewers should acquire Juan Carlos Oviedo in a new installment of Freely* Available Talent.
- The Brewer Nation blog has heard some rumors on David Price talks that had happened earlier this season, and what the Brewers real chances are for pulling off a trade.
- Would the Brewers be the favorites in the NL Central if they got David Price? Matt Montgomery of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes that would push them over the top.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, different writers from the site gave their opinions on what should happen as the trade deadline approaches.
- Rick Kranitz got some praise from Greg Maddux in his Hall of Fame speech over the weekend. Maddux thanked Kranitz for helping him develop of a changeup.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||59-51||Nashville 3, Oklahoma City 1||Nashville @ Colorado Springs|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||64-44||Huntsville 5, Chattanooga 4||Chattanooga @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||54-45||Brevard County 5, Jupiter 4||Jupiter @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||55-50||Fort Wayne 6, Wisconsin 4||Kane County @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||21-28||DSL Tigers 12, DSL Brewers 3||DSL Brewers @ DSL Tigers|
|Helena Brewers||R||15-26||Billings 10, Helena 5||Helena @ Billings|
|AZL Brewers||R||15-16||AZL Indians 13, AZL Brewers 4||AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers|
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (Lance Lynn) @ Padres (Tyson Ross) - 9:10 pm
- Pirates (Francisco Liriano) @ Giants (Tim Hudson) - 9:15 pm
- Diamondbacks (Trevor Cahill) @ Reds (Mike Leake) - 6:10 pm
- Rockies (Jorge de la Rosa) @ Cubs (Edwin Jackson) - 7:05 pm
Game two of the series against the Rays will take place tonight in Tampa Bay. Matt Garza looks to get the Brewers back on track, and we will have to face Alex Cobb to do that. First pitch is at 6:10 pm, and Alex Halsted of MLB.com has the preview.