After enduring three days of silent bats, the Brewers finally got their offense going, and it just happened to be against the Rays ace. Martin Maldonado drove in four runs with a 3-for-4 day, and the Brewers got four runs off of David Price. Meanwhile, Yovani Gallardo pitched seven innings of shutout baseball, holding the Rays to just four hits and a walk. The Rays attempted to rally in the ninth with the bases loaded, but Francisco Rodriguez shut them down for a one-out save.
The trade deadline is today, and the Brewers plans are a mystery.
We're less than 5 hours away from the trade deadline at this point, and it is anyone's guess what the Brewers will do. Different rumors have been flying around, but nothing substantial has come together yet. There were rumors that the Brewers would try to acquire Jon Lester, but those went nowhere and Lester went to Oakland this morning. David Price also came up in rumors, but he's staying in Tampa Bay. Meanwhile, the Cardinals and Cubs both acquired starting pitchers yesterday to bolster their rotations. There are still rumors that the Brewers want a bullpen arm or a bench bat, but as of right now, there's nothing definite going on. However, it doesn't take long for that to change.
More on the Trade Deadline
- Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker assessed the probabilities of different moves being made before the trade deadline.
- Ben Tannenbaum of The Brewers Bar looks at what it could take for the Brewers to acquire a bullpen arm.
- Jimmy Nelson has been talked about repeatedly in trade conversations in recent days, but insists that his focus right now is on his next start against the Cardinals.
- Should the trade deadline be moved back? Dave Cameron of FanGraphs looks at the case for a later trade deadline.
- Will the Brewers remaining schedule hurt their chances at making the postseason? Badgernoonan of Ron Roenicke Stole My Baseball analyzed the uphill battle the Brewers have ahead of them.
- Steven Jewell of Reviewing the Brew has a profile of Matt Garza.
- Will Smith has run into some problems lately in the eighth inning. Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes that after his most recent collapse, Francisco Rodriguez gave him some advice.
- Can the Brewers make a postseason run? Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at the path ahead of the Brewers if they want to make a run.
- Adam McCalvy notes that recent problems in the bullpen have Ron Roenicke considering some changes to roles in the bullpen.
- The bullpen isn't the only thing Roenicke is worried about. Roenicke also has to get his offense back on track.
- Does the Brewers offense have a problem with streakiness? Jonathan Judge of Disciples of Uecker analyzes the Brewers offense in comparison to the rest of baseball to find an answer to that.
- How good can Scooter Gennett be? Mike Rosenbaum of Bleacher Report looks at what Gennett could do in his major league career.
- Jess Lemont of The Brewers Bar took the opportunity with the Brewers playing the Rays to re-post an old comic of hers from a few years ago.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||59-51||Nashville @ Coloardo Springs (SSPD)||Nashville @ Colorado Springs (DH)|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||65-45||Chattanooga 4, Huntsville 1||Jacksonville @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||55-46||Jupiter 5, Brevard County 0||Jupiter @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||57-50||Wisconsin 2, Kane County 0||Kane County @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||21-30||DSL Blue Jays 12, DSL Brewers 11||DSL Brewers @ DSL Blue Jays|
|Helena Brewers||R||16-27||Helena 8, Billings 6||Billings @ Helena|
|AZL Brewers||R||15-17||OFF||AZL Brewers @ AZL Dodgers|
News & Notes
- Reviewing the Brew has an updated analysis on Hunter Morris.
- Is the punishment that Nick Delmonico received fair? Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar notes that Delmonico's suspension was for something that some major league players do every day.
- In Helena, Brandon Moore was named the Pioneer League's Pitcher of the Week.
- The selection process for the Arizona Fall League is underway, and Adam McCalvy provides some insight into how the process works.
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Jeff Locke) @ Diamondbacks (Josh Collmenter) - 8:40 pm
- Cardinals (Shelby Miller) @ Padres (Odrisamer Despaigne) - 2:40 pm
- Reds (Johnny Cueto) @ Marlins (Tom Koehler) - 6:10 pm
- Rockies (Pedro Hernandez) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 1:20 pm
The Brewers have the day off. Meanwhile, the trade deadline approaches, with the deadline at 3 pm CT today. We will keep you updated on any moves the Brewers make (or don't make) as the deadline comes today.