It was a pitcher's duel in Chicago, and Yovani Gallardo was the better pitcher in the duel. He held the Cubs to one run in seven innings. Meanwhile, the offense didn't have much, but it have enough to win. Mark Reynolds homered in the first inning for an early lead, and Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett tacked on runs to account for all of the scoring.
The Brewers have a small chance at having an MVP on the team.
A couple of players on the team have a chance at being the NL MVP this year: Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy. Both have stats that put them among the leaders in the league, though there are candidates ahead of both of them. Yesterday, Noah looked at the odds of either actually winning the award. Both have an uphill battle ahead of them if they want to win, and really need a strong month and a half if they want to pull it off. The Brewers could use a MVP to make the postseason, so the question is if one of them will step up.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland put the Brewers up one spot to #6. He also has an analysis of Wily Peralta's season, arguing that while Peralta is good, he's also been lucky.
- Sports Illustrated bumped the Brewers up to #6.
- MLB.com kept the Brewers at #7.
- ESPN.com dropped the Brewers a spot to #7.
- Fox Sports nudged the Brewers up a spot to #10.
- Before yesterday's game, Derek previewed the Brewers-Cubs series.
- When Matt Garza returns, should the Brewers keep Mike Fiers in the rotation and send Jimmy Nelson to the bullpen? Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker makes a case for why this would be a good idea.
- Carlos Gomez has been taking a different approach to his plate appearances is recent years. Adam Weiser of Disciples of Uecker looks at how Carlos Gomez has improved his at-bats with foul balls.
- Brewers TV Analyst Bill Schroeder left the booth last night after he needed treatment on a finger that he had surgery on last week.
- Nick Michalski of The Brewers Bar has a simple mantra for the Brewers to follow the rest of the season: "Two out of Three".
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||66-56||Round Rock @ Nashville (PPD)||Nashville @ El Paso|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||70-50||OFF||Huntsville @ Tennessee|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||59-54||Clearwater 2, Brevard County 1||Brevard County @ Daytona (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||64-54||OFF||Clinton @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||26-35||DSL Brewers 9, DSL Blue Jays 7||DSL Brewers @ DSL Blue Jays|
|Helena Brewers||R||19-34||OFF||Idaho Falls @ Helena|
|AZL Brewers||R||18-23||AZL Reds 4, AZL Brewers 3||AZL Giants @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Jason Rogers has been heating up for Nashville. Adam McCalvy notes that in Sunday's doubleheader, he hit three home runs and drove in nine.
Today's Division Games
- Tigers (Robbie Ray) @ Pirates (Edinson Volquez) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals (Adam Wainwright) @ Marlins (Jarred Cosart) - 6:10 pm
- Red Sox (Joe Kelly) @ Reds (Mat Latos) - 6:10 pm
Game two of the series takes place tonight at Wrigley Field. Wily Peralta will face Kyle Hendricks in tonight's game. First pitch is at 7:05 pm, and Daniel Kramer of MLB.com has the preview.