Kyle Lohse wasn't pitching his best yesterday, and an injury didn't help him at all. He gave up four runs in three innings before being removed from the game due to a sprained ankle. Marco Estrada came in and kept the Brewers in the game, but the offense couldn't recover. Home runs from Rickie Weeks and Martin Maldonado were the only scoring for the Brewers in the loss.
- Where the Cubs are today may be where the Brewers were 10 years ago. Yesterday, Noah looked at some of the similarities between the 2014 Cubs and 2004 Brewers.
- Wily Peralta's win total has led to some people calling him an ace, when that's not what he really is. Bill Berg of Reviewing the Brew uses stats to show exactly what Wily Peralta's win total means.
- Will Smith made a mechanical adjustment to his delivery recently, and it has resulted in better results.
- One of the lines that is said by a lot of Brewers fans is that the Brewers struggle to hit bad pitching. Jonathan Judge of Disciples of Uecker decided to look at the stats and see if this is true.
- Guess who is leading MLB in getting hit by pitches this season? No, it's not Rickie Weeks. It's Carlos Gomez, and Adam McCalvy notes that nine of his thirteen HBP have been in the hands or wrist.
- Steven Jewell of Reviewing the Brew has a profile of Aramis Ramirez.
- Adam McCalvy notes that Jeff Bianchi recently got a second opinion on his strained elbow, but it revealed nothing new. He is still in rehab mode for now.
- Is clutch performance something that can be predicted? Jeff Sullivan of FanGraphs argues that it is not a predictable skill for baseball teams.
- A common line by managers involves player "confidence". However, Nick Michalski of The Brewers Bar notes that having confidence doesn't mean a player will have good results.
- Three former Brewers are a big part of Kansas City's run this year. Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew has an update on these former Brewers that are contributing to the Royals' playoff push.
- TV analyst Bill Schroeder is expected to be out through the weekend. For the series in Los Angeles, Craig Counsell will fill in on the TV broadcasts, and assistant GM Gord Ash will provide commentary with Joe Block on the radio.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||67-57||Nashville 13, El Paso 3||Nashville @ El Paso|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||71-51||Tennessee 6, Huntsville 5||Huntsville @ Tennessee|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||60-55||OFF||Daytona @ Brevard County (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||65-55||Wisconsin 6, Clinton 2||Clinton @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||27-36||DSL Brewers 4, DSL Braves 2||DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers|
|Helena Brewers||R||20-35||Helena 3, Idaho Falls 0||Idaho Falls @ Helena|
|AZL Brewers||R||18-24||AZL Giants 4, AZL Brewers 3
AZL Giants 8, AZL Brewers 2
News & Notes
- Jay D of Reviewing the Brew has a profile of David Goforth.
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Francisco Liriano) @ Tigers (Max Scherzer) - 12:08 pm
- Padres (Eric Stults) @ Cardinals (John Lackey) - 7:15 pm
- Reds (Alfredo Simon) @ Rockies (Jorge de la Rosa) - 7:40 pm
The Brewers try to salvage a split in the finale of the four-game series in Chicago. Mike Fiers faces Edwin Jackson in the afternoon game at Wrigley Field. First pitch is at 1:20 pm, and Caitlin Swieca of MLB.com has the preview.