It was the Mike Fiers show on Thursday afternoon. He only pitched six innings, but they were scoreless innings in which he struck out 14 of the 22 batters he faced. The only thing he couldn't do was provide offense, but the rest of the lineup helped with that. They got two runs in the first and put up five in the first four innings to provide more than enough offense, and the Cubs were held to two unearned runs in the seventh inning.
Rob Manfred is elected as the next MLB Commissioner.
While the Brewers were playing yesterday, owner meetings were going on in Baltimore. One of the topics was the election of the new MLB Commissioner. The field had been narrowed to two, and voting took place during the day. The first votes were in Manfred's favor, but not at the 75% needed (which prompted Derek to state his case to be the next commissioner). In the end, a few votes were swayed, and Rob Manfred was elected unanimously as the next MLB Commissioner. After the vote was done, reports started coming out about who originally voted against Manfred, with the Brewers as one of them. However, they also stated that Mark Attanasio was the one to give Manfred the last vote he needed to become commissioner. What's true and what's not is tough to say in these reports, but what we know is this. When Bud Selig steps down after the season is done, Rob Manfred will be the new boss.
- With his fourteen strikeout game yesterday, Mike Fiers joined some elite company. Adam McCalvy and Caitlin Swieca of Brewers.com have details on the leaderboards that Mike Fiers joined.
- Ryan Braun was not in the lineup yesterday, and Adam McCalvy notes that Braun is still detaling with that thumb issue.
- Despite all of the struggles the Brewers have had this season, they are still in first place. Curt Hogg of Disciples of Uecker looks at how they have managed to hold on to the division lead.
- Looking to buy some Brewers tickets? The Brewers are waiving all ticket transaction fees on regular season ticket purchases today, meaning you just have to pay the face value of the ticket. Of course, you could also choose to purchase season tickets for next year instead and guarantee yourself some postseason tickets (if the Brewers make the playoffs).
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||68-57||Nashville 4, El Paso 2||
Fri: Nashville @ El Paso
Sat: Nashville @ Albuquerque
Sun: Nashville @ Albuquerque
|Huntsville Stars||AA||71-52||Tennessee 1, Huntsville 0||
Fri: Huntsville @ Tennessee
Sat: Huntsville @ Tennessee
Sun: Jackson @ Huntsville
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||61-56||Daytona 6, Brevard County 2
Brevard County 2, Daytona 1
Fri: Brevard County @ Dunedin
Sat: Brevard County @ Dunedin
Sun: Brevard County @ Dunedin
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||65-56||Clinton 10, Wisconsin 0||
Fri: Kane County @ Wisconsin
Sat: Kane County @ Wisconsin
Sun: Kane County @ WIsconsin
|DSL Brewers||R||27-37||DSL Braves 11, DSL Brewers 8||
Fri: DSL Mets2 @ DSL Brewers
Sat: DSL Brewers @ DSL Mets2
|Helena Brewers||R||20-36||Idaho Falls 14, Helena 1||
Fri: Ogden @ Helena
Sat: Ogden @ Helena
Sun: Ogden @ Helena
Fri: AZL White Sox @ AZL Brewers
Sat: AZL Brewers @ AZL White Sox
Sun: AZL D-backs @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- The Brewers finalized a four-year extension with rookie level Helena yesterday. Helena has been a Brewers affiliate since 1985 (with a two-year hiatus in there).
This Weekend's Division Games
- Padres @ Cardinals
Friday: Tyson Ross vs. Lance Lynn - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Jesse Hahn vs. Shelby Miller - 7:15 pm
Sunday: Odrisamer Despaigne vs. Adam Wainwright - 1:15 pm
Pirates @ Nationals
Friday: Charlie Morton vs. Tanner Roark - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Jeff Locke vs. Gio Gonzalez - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Edinson Volquez vs. Doug Fister - 4:05 pm
Reds @ Rockies
Friday: Johnny Cueto vs. Franklin Morales - 7:40 pm
Saturday: TBD vs. Jordan Lyles - 7:10 pm
Sunday: Mat Latos vs. Yohan Flande - 3:10 pm
Cubs @ Mets
Friday: Travis Wood vs. Zack Wheeler - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Dan Straily vs. Jon Niese - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Jake Arrieta vs. Rafael Montero - 12:10 pm
This Weekend's Action
It's round two of Brewers vs. Dodgers, and this time, it takes place in Los Angeles. The Brewers have a tough set of games ahead to finish this seven-game road trip. Here are the matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Jimmy Nelson vs. Zack Greinke - 9:10 pm
Saturday: Yovani Gallardo vs. Clayton Kershaw - 8:10 pm
Sunday: Wily Peralta vs. Dan Haren - 3:10 pm