The Brewers had the day off.
- Noah notes that with their recent hot streak, the Brewers now have an 80% chance to make the playoffs.
- Jonathan Lucroy is attempting to do something no other catcher has done: lead the league in doubles. Noah looked at the road ahead for Lucroy if he wants to accomplish that feat.
- The Brewers have built a buffer in the standings, but it could get tougher to maintain soon. Derek notes that some of the division rivals are starting to get healthy now.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland bumped the Brewers up to #5.
- Sports Illustrated placed the Brewers up one spot at #5.
- MLB.com also had the Brewers at #5 in their rankings.
- ESPN held the Brewers steady at #7.
- FOX Sports jumped them up three spots to #7.
- Should Ron Roenicke be manager of the year? Lyle Spencer of MLB.com puts together a case for the Brewers manager.
- Adam Weiser of Disciples of Uecker attended a couple of games in Los Angeles over the weekend, and sat in right field during those games. It gave him some perspective on what Ryan Braun has been experiencing on the road this year.
- Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports has the Brewers as part of his twelve storylines for the stretch run, noting that the fading Pirates & Cardinals may allow the Brewers to win the division.
- The injury to Matt Garza and ineffectiveness of Marco Estrada could have doomed the Brewers if some minor league players hadn't stepped up. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how Jimmy Nelson & Mike Fiers have kept the Brewers on track this season.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||70-59||Nashville 9, Albuquerque 3||Nashville @ Albuquerque|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||72-54||Jackson @ Huntsville (PPD)||Jackson @ Huntsville (DH)|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||64-57||Brevard County 8, Tampa 0||Tampa @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||65-60||Clinton 10, Wisconsin 5||Wisconsin @ Clinton|
|DSL Brewers||R||27-40||DSL Tigers 12, DSL Brewers 5||DSL Brewers @ DSL Tigers|
|Helena Brewers||R||22-38||Ogden 7, Helena 1||OFF|
|AZL Brewers||R||20-27||AZL Brewers 10, AZL Rangers 5||OFF|
News & Notes
- In the Florida State league, Brevard County pitcher Tyler Wagner pitched seven scoreless innings on Monday. Teddy Cahill of MLB.com has more on Wagner.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that Helena pitcher Jorge Ortega received player of the week honors in the Pioneer League.
Today's Division Games
- Reds (Alfredo Simon) @ Cardinals (John Lackey) - 7:15 pm
- Braves (Aaron Harang) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Giants (Ryan Vogelsong) @ Cubs (Tsuyoshi Wada) - 7:05 pm
The Brewers begin a quick two-game series against the Blue Jays tonight. Mike Fiers is coming in off of his 14-strikeout performance, and will face Toronto starter J.A. Happ. First pitch is at 7:10 pm, and Jamie Ross of MLB.com has the preview.