The Brewers put on a doubles show in Miller Park, with 7 of their 10 hits for extra bases. This helped the Brewers put up two runs in the first, third, and fifth innings. It was more than enough to back another strong start from Mike Fiers, who pitched seven innings and allowed only one run. In addition, the Brewers pitchers retired the last 24 Blue Jays in a row. It was a dominant performance all-around.
- Prior to yesterday's game, Derek put together a preview of the quick two-game series.
- Adam McCalvy has a few updates on the injured starters in his notebook from yesterday. Kyle Lohse is looking at a return Tuesday against the Padres, and Matt Garza should follow sometime in early September.
- Meanwhile, Jim Henderson had shoulder surgery yesterday, and is expected to be out for four months.
- The Brewers rotation has been a strength of the team this season. Jacob Shafer of Bleacher Report looks at that strength and asks if it is enough for a postseason run.
- Mike Fiers has kept the Brewers rotation stabilized after Matt Garza went down with his injury. Ben Tannenbaum looks at the success Mike Fiers has had, which includes some luck.
- Do the Brewers really need a bullpen upgrade? Jonathan Judge of Disciples of Uecker argues that the bullpen is fine (and very good) as is.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||71-59||Nashville 13, Albuquerque 12||Fresno @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||72-55||Jackson 6, Huntsville 2
Huntsville 2, Jackson 1
|Jackson @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||65-57||Brevard County 2, Tampa 1||Brevard County @ Tampa|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||66-60||Wisconsin 10, Clinton 9||Wisconsin @ Clinton|
|DSL Brewers||R||27-41||DSL Tigers 12, DSL Brewers 6||DSL Blue Jays @ DSL Brewers|
|Helena Brewers||R||22-38||OFF||Helena @ Great Falls|
|AZL Brewers||R||20-27||OFF||AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Jay D of Reviewing the Brew has a profile on Clint Coulter.
Today's Division Games
- Reds (Johnny Cueto) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 7:15 pm
- Braves (Alex Wood) @ Pirates (Gerrit Cole) - 6:05 pm
- Giants (Jake Peavy) @ Cubs (Edwin Jackson) - 7:05 pm
The Brewers conclude the quick two-game series against the Blue Jays this afternoon at Miller Park. Jimmy Nelson will face off against R.A. Dickey in the matinee today. First pitch is at 1:10 pm, and Jamie Ross of MLB.com has the preview.
Now, with that little bit of time you have before today's game, go and make Prognostikeggers predictions.