This Weekend's Results
The Brewers struck fast with two runs in the first, but the Pirates followed that up with three runs in the second inning and single runs in the third, fourth, and fifth innings. The Brewers defense didn't help, allowing three errors leading to five unearned runs.
It was a game of missed opportunities for the Brewers. After taking a 2-0 lead, the Brewers couldn't tack on any runs despite 12 hits. The Pirates also had 12 hits, but turned that into 10 runs. Wily Peralta started well but just collapsed starting in the fourth inning, and the Brewers couldn't make a comeback.
It was another familiar start to this game. The Brewers took a 2-0 lead, then gave it up as the Pirates scored two in the top of the second. However, this time, the Brewers got the lead right back in the bottom of the second, and held on to it. Mike Fiers allowed a two-run home run, but was solid beyond that as he pitched seven innings. Francisco Rodriguez allowed a solo home run and a walk to make it tense late, but finished the game for the win.
Articles from BCB
- Which minor league players could end up on the major league roster in September? Noah looks at the possible candidates to be called up in September.
- The blackout restrictions could change soon. Over the weekend, a report came out that MLB is looking at easing the restrictions on blacked out games.
- What do different teams in the division need to do to make the playoffs? On Friday, we looked at what teams need to do over the last month if they want to be playoff bound.
- Wily Peralta has improved his fastball over the season this year. Justin Schultz of Beyond the Box Score looks at the change that Peralta has made with his fastball.
- Caitlin Swieca of MLB.com notes that after losing a challenge on Friday, the Brewers are making another inquiry about why their challenge was upheld.
- In the Saturday notebook for Brewers.com, Caitlin Swieca notes that the Brewers haven't talked about their plans for September callups yet, Matt Garza is making progress, and Ryan Braun's struggles at the plate.
- Tom Haudricourt of The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at the opportunity that Mike Fiers and Jimmy Nelson have now, and the upcoming decision that the Brewers have coming.
- Mike Fiers fell out of favor after a rough year, but worked his way back into the Brewers plans with a good season in the minors. Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has a look at the journey Mike Fiers has gone through.
- Tim Dillard talks about what happens with baseball players when the season ends.
Minor League Update
Fri: Fresno 3, Nashville 0
Sat: Nashville 6, Fresno 2
Sun: Nashville 14, Sacramento 2
|Sacramento @ Nashville|
Fri: Huntsville 7, Mobile 6
Sat: Mobile 5, Huntsville 1
Sun: Mobile 5, Huntsville 4
|Huntsville @ Mobile|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||68-60||
Fri: Brevard County 7, Clearwater 6
Fri: Brevard County 7, Clearwater 2
Sat: Clearwater 6, Brevard County 2
Sun: Brevard County 5, Clearwater 4
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||68-63||
Fri: Peoria 3, Wisconsin 2
Sat: Wisconsin 11, Peoria 7
Sun: Beloit 4, Wisconsin 2
|Beloit @ Wisconsin|
Fri: DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers (Can.)
Sat: DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves (Can.)
|END OF SEASON|
Fri: Great Falls 12, Helena 11
Sun: Billings 6, Helena 2
|Billings @ Helena|
Fri: AZL Brewers 6, AZL Cubs 5
Sat: AZL Brewers 14, AZL Cubs 3
|AZL D-Backs @ AZL Brewers|
- Nashville Sounds - Currently tied with Memphis Redbirds for playoff spots. Eight games remaining, last day of regular season September 1.
- Huntsville Stars - Clinched first-half playoff spot. Seven games remaining, last day of regular season September 1.
- Brevard County Manatees - Five games out of playoff spot, elimination number is three. Seven games remaining, last day of regular season August 31.
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers - Two games ahead of Peoria Chiefs for a playoff spot. Eight games remaining, last day of regular season September 1.
- DSL Brewers - Eliminated from playoff contention. Season has ended.
- Helena Brewers - Six and a half games out of a playoff spot, elimination number is seven. Thirteen games remaining, last day of regular season September 4.
- AZL Brewers - Can make playoffs if they finish second in division standings, currently one and a half games ahead. Five games remaining, last day of regular season August 28.
News & Notes
- Could prospect David Goforth be a closer? Bernie Pleskoff of MLB.com looks at the potential of Goforth as a future closer.
- Cardinals @ Phillies
Friday: Phillies 5, Cardinals 4
Saturday: Cardinals 6, Phillies 5
Sunday: Phillies 7, Brewers 1
- Braves @ Reds
Friday: Braves 3, Reds 1
Saturday: Reds 1, Braves 0
Sunday: Reds 5, Braves 3
- Orioles @ Cubs
Friday: Cubs 4, Orioles 1
Saturday: Cubs 7, Orioles 2
Sunday: Cubs 2, Orioles 1
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (John Lackey) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Reds and Cubs have the day off.
The Brewers make their last road trip outside of the Midwest this week. They start with a three-game series in San Diego. Kyle Lohse faces off against Eric Stults in the first game of the series. First pitch is at 9:10 pm, and Matthew DeFranks of MLB.com has the preview.