If you needed to get to sleep early last night, the Brewers were kind to you. They took an early lead and just kept building on it. It looked rough early as Kyle Lohse struggled through the first two innings, giving up a run, but settled down to pitch six solid innings. Meanwhile, Carlos Gomez, Ryan Braun, and Aramis Ramirez each had three hits, and Ramirez and Gerardo Parra each had three RBI.
Yesterday's BCB Articles
- Jean Segura has been having a rough season, but is there a better option than him out there? Noah looks at the possibilities for the Brewers if they decided to find a shortstop for the stretch run.
- Last week, Noah looked through the likely September callups in the minors. Yesterday, Derek followed that up with a look at some unlikely callups.
- Meanwhile, Derek also has a preview of the Brewers-Padres series.
The Stretch Run
- September callups are less than a week away, and predictions are starting to come out on who will get called up. The Brewer Nation has a list of predictions for callups this year.
- Some people consider a Wild Card spot a consolation prize if the Brewers falter and don't win the division, but others see it as a situation to avoid. Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar breaks down why making the postseason as a Wild Card would be a disappointment.
- SI.com dropped the Brewers two spots to #7.
- MLB.com has the Brewers at #7.
- ESPN.com kept the Brewers steady at #7.
- FOX Sports dropped the Brewers to #8.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland put the Brewers at #8, down three spots.
- Ryan Braun left last night's game early with a bruised quad. It appears to have been precautionary, and he should be ready for tonight's game.
- The rotation decision is looming for when Matt Garza returns, but Jimmy Nelson may be making it easier for the team. Yesterday, Jimmy Nelson said that he would be open to moving to the bullpen once Garza comes back.
- Can Mike Fiers maintain his success? Adam Wieser of Disciples of Uecker analyzes Mike Fiers' success so far and what he needs to do to maintain it.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||74-62||Sacramento 20, Nashville 1||Sacramento @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||75-59||Mobile 3, Huntsville 1||Huntsville @ Mobile|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||68-60||OFF||Lakeland @ Brevard County (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||69-63||Wisconsin 7, Beloit 3||Beloit @ Wisconsin|
|Helena Brewers||R||22-42||Billings 7, Helena 6||Helena @ Missoula|
|AZL Brewers||R||23-28||AZL Brewers 8, AZL D-backs 2||AZL Brewers @ AZL Angels|
News & Notes
- Adam McCalvy notes that the Brewers have designated outfield as their priority position in the Arizona Fall League, and top prospect Tyrone Taylor is in play to be on the team.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has a detailed look at playoff possibilities for the different Brewers affiliates.
- Nashville Sounds first baseman Matt Clark was named PCL player of the week.
- Cardinals 3, Pirates 2
- Reds and Cubs had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (Lance Lynn) @ Pirates (Gerrit Cole) - 6:05 pm
- Cubs (Travis Wood) @ Reds (Johnny Cueto) - 6:10 pm
The series against the Padres continues this afternoon. Jimmy Nelson faces off against Padres ace Tyson Ross in the second game of the series. First pitch is at 9:10 pm, and Cody Ulm of MLB.com has the preview.
(Did you know that according to a random number generator, 97% of people who play Prognostikeggers enjoy it? Give it a try and see if you're one of them.)