The Brewers had the day off.
- If you didn't hear Ron Roenicke's comments bashing the umpire in Wednesday's game, ESPN has video of Ron Roenicke's postgame interview with his thoughts on the umpire. It's definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.
- Meanwhile, David Schoenfield of ESPN SweetSpot says that the Brewers are the one team that shouldn't be arguing balls and strikes in a game.
- The news of the day yesterday was that the Brewers had claimed Justin Morneau off waivers, but the Rockies pulled him back when the two teams couldn't work out a trade.
- How has Ryan Braun's thumb injury affected his season? Stuart Wallace of Beyond the Box Score has a detailed breakdown of the injury and how it has affected Braun.
- Is Francisco Rodriguez as bad at allowing home runs as Marco Estrada? Curt Hogg of Disciples of Uecker analyzes Rodriguez's high home run rate and provides two possible outcomes over the last month of the season.
- Jimmy Nelson is making the most of his major league callup this year. Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel profiles Jimmy Nelson and the road that has brought him to Milwuakee.
- Jean Segura may need to make mechanical adjustments to his approach if he wants to get back on track. Adam McCalvy of MLB.com looks at Segura's approach and the possibilities for him coming up.
- Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew looks ahead to an important weekend series and beyond with September callups.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||74-65||Round Rock 10, Nashville 7||
Fri: Nashville @ Round Rock
Sat: Nashville @ Round Rock (DH)
Sun: Nashville @ Round Rock
|Huntsville Stars||AA||76-60||Huntsville 7, Mississippi 5||
Fri: Mississippi @ Huntsville
Sat: Mississippi @ Huntsville
Sun: Mississippi @ Huntsville
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||71-61||Lakeland 4, Brevard County 1||
Fri: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Sat: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Sun: Dunedin @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||71-64||Wisconsin 9, Burlington 5||
Fri: Burlington @ Wisconsin
Sat: Wisconsin @ Beloit
Sun: Wisconsin @ Beloit
|Helena Brewers||R||22-39||Great Falls 11, Helena 4
Helena 2, Great Falls 0
Fri: Helena @ Great Falls
Sat: Great Falls @ Helena (DH)
Sun: Great Falls @ Helena
|AZL Brewers||R||24-31||AZL Dodgers 10, AZL Brewers 0||END OF SEASON|
It's the last weekend of play in the minor leagues. Nashville, Huntsville, and Wisconsin all end their regular seasons on Monday, Brevard County ends on Sunday, and Helena goes a little longer, until Friday of next week. Here are the playoff scenarios entering the weekend:
- Nashville Sounds - Down three games with five to play. Any combination of three losses/Memphis wins will eliminate them from contention.
- Hunstville Stars - Have clinched playoff spot.
- Brevard County Manatees - Eliminated from contention.
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers - Ahead by two and a half games for a playoff spot, with four to play. Two wins this weekend should put them in the playoffs.
- Helena Brewers - Eliminated from contention.
- AZL Brewers - Eliminated from contention.
News & Notes
- Reds 7, Cubs 2
- Cardinals and Pirates had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cubs @ Cardinals
Friday: Kyle Hendricks vs. Shelby Miller - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Felix Doubront vs. TBD - 1:15 pm
Saturday: Tsuyoshi Wada vs. TBD - 7:15 pm
Sunday: Travis Wood vs. John Lackey - 1:15 pm
- Reds @ Pirates
Friday: Mike Leake vs. Edinson Volquez - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Alfredo Simon vs. Vance Worley - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Johnny Cueto vs. Francisco Liriano - 12:35 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers are in San Francisco for a three-game series against the Giants this weekend. Here are the starting pitcher matchups:
Friday: Wily Peralta vs. Ryan Vogelsong - 9:15 pm
Saturday: Mike Fiers vs. Jake Peavy - 8:05 pm
Sunday: Kyle Lohse vs. Madison Bumgarner - 3:05 pm