This Weekend's Results
Brewers 7, Cardinals 4
The Brewers power trio of Jonathan Lucroy, Ryan Braun, and Aramis Ramirez came to play on Friday, driving in all seven of the Brewers runs. They were led by Ramirez, who was 3-for-5 and a triple away from the cycle. It backed a strong start from Wily Peralta, who pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits and four walks.
Kyle Lohse had a rare bad start, giving up nine runs in four innings. However, the offense came to play, putting up four runs in those first four innings, and seven runs in the game total. They had a chance to tie the game in the ninth, but couldn't finish the comeback as they fell to the Cardinals.
The Brewers got two early runs off of John Lackey, and Matt Garza was pitching great through six innings. However, Matt Garza was pulled at the start of the seventh due to injury, and the bullpen gave up three runs promptly in the seventh. The offense couldn't come back and the Cardinals won the game.
The Gerardo Parra trade isn't a game-changer, but it is an upgrade.
Unlike some previous years, the Brewers elected not to go with the blockbuster trade this year and instead went with a smaller trade, acquiring Gerardo Parra from the Diamondbacks. It's definitely not the flashy move that the Brewers have made in the past, but it will help the team. After thinking about the trade for a day, Jordan posted his reaction to the trade on Friday. Overall, he likes the trade and thinks that it will be good for the Brewers. However, he also notes that the Brewers should have made another move. There's still time to make another one, though it will have to happen through a waiver trade in August.
Will Smith has reverted to what he should be.
After Will Smith's strong start to the season, he has struggled more in recent weeks. This has led to many people saying that there's something wrong with Will Smith. However, Derek believes that the issue isn't that Will Smith is struggling, it's that he may be pitching to his true level now. He notes that despite being used often, Smith isn't showing any signs of breaking down. He may just be regressing to his normal career marks. If that's the case, the only thing that needs to be done is to switch Smith's "role" to a more appropriate one.
The Brewers are a great defensive team.
In the last several years, the Brewers have typically not been a good defensive team. They've had individual players that have been great, but overall, there have been seen as below average. This year, that perception is changing a little. Noah noted on Saturday that the Brewers defense has ranked above average this season. The number show that the offense is improving, and though it's a small sample size, it appears to be accurate. There are still a few holes in the defense, but it's not as bad as it has been in the past.
- Wily Peralta is one of the leaders in wins this season in MLB. Adam McCalvy looked at what Peralta could post this season if he keeps collecting wins.
- Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker notes that the Brewers decision to make a smaller upgrade is more reminiscent of recent moves made by the Cardinals.
- Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is confident that the Brewers will make the playoffs. Meanwhile, Tom Haudricourt notes that the Brewers have a tough August to get through first.
- Jess Lemont of The Brewers Bar found some ambient music featuring Craig Coshun & Davey Nelson.
Minor League Update
Fri: Nashville 2, Colorado Springs 1
Fri: Colorado Springs 1, Nashville 0
Sat: Nashville 4, New Orleans 2
Sun: New Orleans 4, Nashville 3
|Nashville @ New Orleans|
Fri: Jacksonville 3, Huntsville 2
Sat: Jacksonville 3, Huntsville 2
Sun: Jacksonville 7, Huntsville 1
|Jacksonville @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||56-49||
Fri: Bradenton 3, Brevard County 2
Sat: Brevard County 4, Bradenton 2
Sun: Bradenton 5, Brevard County 3
|Brevard County @ Bradenton|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||59-51||
Fri: Wisconsin 5, Peoria 1
Sat: Peoria 9, Wisconsin 3
Sun: Peoria @ Wisconsin (SSPD)
|Wisconsin @ Cedar Rapids|
Fri: DSL Phillies 13, DSL Brewers 4
Sat: DSL Brewers 6, DSL Phillies 3
|DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves|
Fri: Missoula 4, Helena 0
Sat: Helena 10, Missoula 1
|Helena @ Idaho Falls|
Fri: AZL Dodgers @ AZL Brewers (SSPD)
Sat: AZL Brewers 4, AZL Rangers 3
Sun: AZL Brewers 9, AZL Rangers 1
News & Notes
- Ever wonder how the minor league playoffs work? We took an in-depth look into the different systems and situations for all seven of the Brewers minor league affiliates on Saturday.
- Brevard County pitcher Mark Williams received a 50-game suspension for using amphetamines on Friday, just a few days after Nick Delmonico was handed the same suspension.
- Jim Henderson finished his rehab assignment on Friday, but was not deemed ready to return and was sent back to Arizona to strengthen his shoulder.
- Wei-Chung Wang has begun a rehab assignment with rookie level Arizona, and is going to be stretched back into a starter. He pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings for the AZL Brewers on Sunday.
- Taylor Williams of Wisconsin struck out 11 in his start on Friday, which is a career high. He has won seven straight decisions and is 8-1 with a 2.36 ERA this season.
- Reviewing the Brew continued their series of the top farm systems in Brewers history with the 2007 Nashville Sounds.
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has a photo gallery from Sunday's Timber Rattlers game.
- Pirates @ Diamondbacks
Friday: Pirates 9, Diamondbacks 4
Saturday: Pirates 8, Diamondbacks 3
Sunday: Diamondbacks 3, Pirates 2
- Reds @ Marlins
Friday: Reds 5, Marlins 2
Saturday: Marlins 2, Reds 1
Sunday: Reds 7, Marlins 3
- Cubs @ Dodgers
Friday: Cubs 8, Dodgers 2
Saturday: Dodgers 5, Cubs 2
Sunday: Cubs 7, Dodgers 3
Today's Division Games
- Reds (Alfredo Simon) @ Indians (Corey Kluber) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals, Pirates, and Cubs have the day off.
The Brewers get a day off today before returning to Miller Park tomorrow. They will open a three-game series against the Giants on Tuesday night.