Gerardo Parra made his first hit as a Brewer count, hitting a solo home run in the seventh inning to give the Brewers a 4-3 lead they would not relinquish. Jimmy Nelson pitched well, though he allowed a three-run home run in the sixth inning to Pablo Sandoval. Carlos Gomez also recorded three RBI in the Brewers win.
Matt Garza went on the disabled list.
Unfortunately, the Brewers had some bad news for us yesterday. The injury to Matt Garza was serious enough for a DL trip, and he was placed on the 15-day DL yesterday. In a corresponding move, Rob Wooten was recalled from Nashville to take his roster spot. This move would seem to suggest that Marco Estrada is returning to the rotation, but the Brewers have not announced their plans yet. It is possible that it could be a minimum DL stint and Garza would only miss 2 starts, but there's no official word yet on what the expected timetable will be.
- Derek released his preview of the Brewers/Giants series yesterday afternoon.
- After yesterday's win, Ron Roenicke said that he needs a reliever to pitch the whole eighth inning. Based on this comment, Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker went through the candidates for this job.
- Scooter Gennett and Khris Davis were out of the lineup again yesterday to deal with some nagging injuries.
- Jonathan Lucroy may be under control for a few more seasons, but he's done so much that a long-term extension may be a good idea. Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker asks if the Brewers should extend Lucroy now, and what an extension could look like.
- After years of struggling to develop pitchers in the minors, the Brewers may have a few developed now. Mike Bauman takes a look at the newest one in this group: Jimmy Nelson.
- Carlos Gomez now has a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles jersey after Caitlin Moyer of John & Cait found one used by a team in the minor leagues.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||62-56||New Orleans 7, Nashville 1||OFF|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||66-49||OFF||Huntsville @ Birmingham|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||56-51||Tampa 5, Brevard County 2||Brevard County @ Tampa (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||60-52||Cedar Rapids 9, Wisconsin 0||Wisconsin @ Cedar Rapids|
|DSL Brewers||R||24-32||DSL Brewers 2, DSL Braves 0||DSL Marlins @ DSL Brewers|
|Helena Brewers||R||17-30||Helena @ Idaho Falls (PPD)||Helena @ Idaho Falls (DH)|
|AZL Brewers||R||17-19||AZL Mariners 5, AZL Brewers 3||AZL Mariners @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- John Sickels of Minor League Ball has a quick profile on Ariel Pena.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Jay D has an update on Taylor Jungmann.
- The Brewers organization released their minor league awards of the month yesterday, and three players received the honors. Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has the details.
Today's Division Games
- Red Sox (Joe Kelly) @ Cardinals (Shelby Miller) - 7:15 pm
- Marlins (Tom Koehler) @ Pirates (Jeff Locke) - 6:05 pm
- Indians (Danny Salazar) @ Reds (Mat Latos) - 6:10 pm
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Rockies (Jordan Lyles) - 7:40 pm
The Brewers continue their three-game series against the Giants tonight. Yovani Gallardo will try to extend his scoring streak against the Giants and Ryan Vogelsong. First pitch is at 7:10 pm, and Jackson Alexander of MLB.com has the preview.