This Weekend's Results
I don't think any of us really want to relive the weekend, so here's the basics of what happened. The Brewers got clobbered on Friday & Sunday, and almost got no-hit on Saturday. It was enough to allow the Cardinals to catch up and tie the Brewers for first place. As a Brewers fan, it was about as bad of a weekend as it could have been.
The Brewers acquired Jonathan Broxton.
The one bright spot of the weekend was this shocking move on Sunday. With the Brewers seeking bullpen help, they put in a claim on Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton, were awarded the claim, and worked out a trade with the Reds to bring Broxton to Milwaukee. We don't know the full details of the trade yet, as the Brewers traded two PTBNLs in the deal. Broxton's contract runs through next season, so this move will also affect the 2015 team. This will definitely bolster a struggling Brewers bullpen, and hopefully help get them to the postseason.
The first wave of September callups were made.
Prior to today's game against the Cubs, the Brewers made their first wave of September callups. Adam McCalvy has details in his Brew Beat blog, but here are the five "additions":
Jimmy Nelson - No surprise here, his "demotion" to Brevard County was basically in name only. In reality, the callup here was Alfredo Figaro, who was added prior to Saturday's game.
Matt Garza - He was activated from the 15-day DL, and is expected to start on Wednesday.
Wei-Chung Wang - Also activated from the 15-day DL.
Logan Schafer - With Carlos Gomez probably out for today's game, the Brewers needed to get Schafer here to bolster the outfield bench.
Matt Pagnozzi - This is the one more surprising move of the bunch. With only two catchers on the 40-man roster, the Brewers decided to add Pagnozzi for emergencies over the last month. Jeff Bianchi was transferred to the 60-day DL to clear a space on the 40-man roster. (It's unclear whether or not Pagnozzi will be postseason eligible, it depends on if he was added to the 40-man roster on Sunday or Monday. This would only come up in an emergency situation where either Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado went down with an injury.)
That's it for callups for now. A few other players didn't get callups, which includes pitcher Rob Wooten. However, Nashville has one more game in its season today, and it is possible we will see a few more callups following that game.
More from BCB
- On Friday, Jordan compared the pitches of Jimmy Nelson to that of an old Brewer fan favorite, Ben Sheets.
- While it's tempting to think that the Brewers decline is about to happen, Noah has a reminder that this team isn't doomed after 2014.
- Carlos Gomez left Sunday's game with left wrist soreness. X-rays were negative, but the Brewers may send him back to Milwaukee for more tests. He will be out today at least.
- The Brewer Nation blog had the opportunity to talk to Jonathan Broxton's agent for a few minutes, and has a few details from the conversation on the blog.
Minor League Update
Fri: Nashville 7, Round Rock 4
Sat: Nashville 5, Round Rock 2
Sat: Round Rock 3, Nashville 1
Sun: Round Rock 3, Nashville 2
|Nashville @ Round Rock|
Fri: Mississippi 5, Huntsville 0
Sun: Mississippi 6, Huntsville 2
Sun: Huntsville 6, Mississippi 2
|Mississippi @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||73-62||
Sat: Brevard County 2, Dunedin 0
Sat: Brevard County 1, Dunedin 0
Sun: Dunedin 7, Brevard County 3
|END OF SEASON|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||72-66||
Fri: Burlington 4, Wisconsin 2
Sat: Beloit 6, Wisconsin 2
Sun: Wisconsin 13, Beloit 2
|Wisconsin @ Beloit|
Fri: Helena 5, Great Falls 3
Sat: Great Falls 5, Helena 2
Sat: Helena 7, Great Falls 5
Sun: Great Falls 6, Helena 2
|Missoula @ Helena|
- Nashville Sounds - Eliminated from contention with Saturday's loss, last game of season today.
- Huntsville Stars - Clinched playoff spot. Playoffs begin on September 4.
- Brevard County Manatees - Eliminated from contention last week, season has ended.
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers - Clinched a playoff spot with Sunday's win. Playoffs begin on September 3.
- Helena Brewers - Eliminated from contention last week, final game of season September 4.
News & Notes
- Nathan Orf's day on Sunday was a memorable one. He played all nine positions for Brevard County, and then got the news that he was being called up to Huntsville for their postseason roster.
- Reviewing the Brew's series on the best farm teams in franchise history continued with the 1989 Stockton Ports.
- Cubs @ Cardinals
Friday: Cubs 7, Cardinals 2
Saturday: Cubs 5, Cardinals 1
Saturday: Cardinals 13, Cubs 2
Sunday: Cardinals 9, Cubs 6
- Reds @ Pirates
Friday: Pirates 2, Reds 1
Saturday: Pirates 3, Reds 2
Sunday: Reds 3, Pirates 2
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Gerrit Cole) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 1:15 pm
- Reds have the day off.
The Brewers start a three-game series in Chicago with an afternoon matinee game. Jimmy Nelson faces Jacob Turner in the first game of the series. First pitch is at 1:20 pm, and Caitlin Swieca of MLB.com has the preview.
For those of you who play Prognostikeggers, I won't have this week's update up until this afternoon. However, you can make your predictions for this week with the below links (so you can get your predictions in for the early game).