Good news: It wasn't the starting pitcher that blew it tonight. Matt Garza did have a rough game, allowing two runs on six hits and a walk with seven strikeouts. However, he kept the team in it. The Marlins took a 2-0 lead in the top of the third, but the Brewers tied it right back up in the bottom of the third. Marlins took another lead in the top of the sixth, but the Brewers tied it again in the bottom of the seventh. It looked like the Brewers were going to break through with the bases loaded in the eighth with no one out, but two straight outs at home and a fly ball ended the threat, and Francisco Rodriguez imploded in the ninth to give the Marlins a 6-3 win.
- Ryan Braun has been struggling lately, and we found out yesterday that his thumb injury is getting worse. Yesterday, Derek argued that it is time for the Brewers to bench Ryan Braun.
- As expected, Jimmy Nelson was the odd man out in the rotation and was sent to the bullpen. Derek looked at the numbers of Nelson and Mike Fiers to see if the Brewers made the right move.
The Darker Side of the Losing Streak
- Ron Roenicke has received a lot of criticism lately, and the question has come up about whether he should keep his job or not. Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew makes a case for why Roenicke should be let go.
- Enrique Bakemeyer of the Brewers Bar sees a positive in the losing streak: We can give up now and not have to go through the disappointment of a playoff run.
- Jason Catania of Bleacher Report goes through the last few weeks of the season, which have resulted in the Brewers crashing back down to earth.
The Lighter Side of the Losing Streak
- David S. Grant of Reviewing the Brew discovered details of a deal that Doug Melvin had made with the devil before the start of the season.
- Jess Lemont of The Brewers Bar found a new MLB rule that only applies to the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Mike Oz of Big League Stew still thinks the Brewers can win the World Series, but has a list of five things that need to happen for them to do it.
- Reviewing the Brew has profiles on callups Jason Rogers and Matt Pagnozzi.
- Give yourself additional time if you are planning to go to Miller Park tomorrow or Saturday. The Brewers will be testing new security procedures that will be implemented in the postseason and full-time starting next year.
Minor League Update
- Jimmy Nelson was named as the organization's minor league pitcher of the year, while Clint Coulter received player of the year honors. Adam McCalvy has more details on both honors.
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (John Lackey) @ Reds (Alfredo Simon) - 6:10 pm
- Pirates (Vance Worley) @ Phillies (Jerome Williams) - 6:05 pm
- Cubs (Kyle Hendricks) @ Blue Jays (Drew Hutchinson) - 6:07 pm
It's the same story today as it has been the last several days. The Brewers try to end their losing streak and get something positive going tonight against the Marlins. Jarred Cosart pitches for the Marlins, and Wily Peralta is up for the Brewers. First pitch is at 7:10 pm, and Maria Torres of MLB.com has the preview.