The Brewers got their second straight win for the first time in a few weeks, but it came at a cost. In the fifth inning, Giancarlo Stanton was hit in the left cheek by a fastball and had to leave the field on a stretcher and in an ambulance. This led to the benches clearing after the next pitch, in a game where everything else was going well against the Marlins. Matt Clark and Ryan Braun both homered in the game, and Mike Fiers provided five shutout innings before being lifted early after the events of the fifth inning.
After the game, we received more details on the extent of Stanton's injuries. He suffered a facial laceration, multiple fractures, and some dental damage. He is returning to Miami today for more tests. Earlier this morning, we compiled some videos from the game into one post for you to view, as well as reactions from players and managers following the game.
The First Base Situation
- Matt Clark homered for the second straight day yesterday. Prior to the game, Noah asked if Matt Clark could be a solution for the Brewers at first base.
- Steven Jewell of Reviewing the Brew also talked about Matt Clark, in addition to Jason Rogers and other potential options for first base.
- With Matt Clark putting together a few good games in a row, Ron Roenicke may give him more chances at first base as the hot hand.
- In the wake of Giancarlo Stanton's injury, David Schoenfield of ESPN SweetSpot reminded everyone about the dangers of baseball, as well as a HBP rate that has grown over the years. Also, if you have access to ESPN Insider, Buster Olney asked if MLB can do more to protect hitters.
- Khris Davis was out of the lineup yesterday, but it wasn't completely about performance. Ron Roenicke gave Davis the day off due to a sore forearm, which also may explain a drop in power.
- The situation with Mike Fiers hitting Giancarlo Stanton brought up some comparisons to former Brewer Matt Wise last night. Bill Berg of Reviewing the Brew remembers what happened to Matt Wise after he hit a batter in the face with a pitch.
- Yesterday, Carlos Gomez met with Zachary Spader, a young fan at Chidren's Hospital of Wisconsin, for an interview. Caitlin Moyer has the video of the interview.
- Something else we learned yesterday is that it doesn't take much to startle Carlos Gomez. Robert J. Baumann of NotGraphs has a GIF of a startled Gomez, as well as Ed Sedar calming him down.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Rockies @ Cardinals
Friday: Jorge de la Rosa vs. Adam Wainwright - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Franklin Morales vs. Shelby Miller - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Jordan Lyles vs. Michael Wacha - 1:15 pm
- Cubs @ Pirates
Friday: Tsuyoshi Wada vs. Gerrit Cole - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Felix Doubront vs. Jeff Locke - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Justin Turner vs. Edinson Volquez - 12:35 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers open a three-game series against the Cincinnati Reds tonight. Here are the matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Mat Latos vs. Kyle Lohse - 7:10 pm
Saturday: David Holmberg vs. Yovani Gallardo - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Mike Leake vs. Matt Garza - 1:10 pm