The Brewers had the day off.
The next six games are the most critical games of the Brewers season.
Just three weeks ago, we were thinking that the Brewers would come to this series against the Cardinals fighting for the NL Central title. Now, the Brewers are just fighting to remain in the playoff picture. Noah spelled out the importance of this next series (and the one following it) yesterday, and how the Brewers season rests on what happens in these six games. The Brewers could find themselves back in a playoff spot at the end of this, or could even be eliminated by the time it is done. The importance of these games cannot be overstated. The only thing left to see is if the Brewers can come through.
Minor league musical chairs begins today.
Today, MLB teams will officially be told which minor league affiliates have not renewed their player development contracts with MLB clubs and are officially available for affiliation. Entering today, three of the Brewers affiliates have not announced new deals with the Brewers: the Nashville Sounds, Huntsville/Biloxi Stars, and Brevard County Manatees. By all reports, it appears as though Nashville is as good as gone and will be the new affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, leaving the Brewers looking for a new Triple-A affiliate. Huntsville/Biloxi and Brevard County appear to be on track to be renewed (either with a formal deal or auto-renewal), but nothing has been announced yet. It's still possible all could be renewed, or all could be gone. We should get more clarity on it today.
- Derek has a countdown to the end of the season for the Brewers, going through several of the different big numbers left in the Brewers season.
- The Brewers released their rosters for the instructional leagues yesterday. Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has the list of participants and the schedule.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com looks ahead to the road trip as a whole, with a breakdown of how the Brewers have faired against each opponent and key moments against each opponent.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel also looks at the last twelve games of the season, and how the team is approaching it as this stretch begins.
- Mike Oz of Big League Stew includes the Brewers in his Five Big Things, noting that it is make-or-break time for the Brewers.
- Cubs 1, Reds 0
- Cardinals and Pirates had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Red Sox (Anthony Ranaudo) @ Pirates (Charlie Morton) - 6:05 pm
- Reds (Johnny Cueto) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 7:05 pm
The Brewers begin a three-game series in St. Louis tonight against the Cardinals. Yesterday, Derek previewed the entire series for the Brewers, which is about as critical as they can get. Wily Peralta faces off against Lance Lynn in the first game of the series. First pitch is at 7:15 pm, and Joe Morgan of MLB.com has the preview.