It was a crushing blow to what hope we had left last night. The Brewers put together a 2-0 lead and that seemed to be enough for a while, but a mental error by Mark Reynolds allowed the Cardinals to get back into the game, and Aramis Ramirez played a ball wrong to set up the winning hit for the Cardinals.
- The Brewers officially announced a two-year deal with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox yesterday, after all of the other Triple-A teams had made their arrangements with MLB teams. Earlier this morning, I posted some quick facts about the team.
- The Brewer Nation blog also has some more details about the Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
- With his double last night, Jonathan Lucroy tied the record for doubles as a catcher in a season with 45.
- The new children's book about Hank the Ballpark Pup went on sale yesterday, and the first people at the team store got a free copy of the book and a chance to meet Hank. Caitlin Moyer has some details on the book and the event.
- The Brewers re-signed Shawn Zarranga to a minor-league deal yesterday. He will play in the Arizona Fall League, and received an invitation to spring training.
- Reviewing the Brew continued their series on the top farm teams in Brewers history with the 1972 Evansville Triplets.
- Pirates 3, Red Sox 2
- Dodgers 8, Cubs 4
- Reds had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Reds @ Cardinals
Friday: David Holmberg vs. John Lackey - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Mike Leake vs. Michael Wacha - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Alfredo Simon vs. Lance Lynn - 7:05 pm
- Dodgers @ Cubs
Friday: Clayton Kershaw vs. Edwin Jackson - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Roberton Hernandez vs. Felix Doubront - 12:05 pm
Sunday: Dan Haren vs. Jacob Turner - 1:20 pm
This Weekend's Action
The situation is simple for the Brewers right now. Anything less than a sweep against the red-hot Pirates in Pittsburgh basically ends the Brewers chances at the playoffs. Here are the starting matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Yovani Gallardo vs. Jeff Locke - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Matt Garza vs. Edinson Volquez - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Wily Peralta vs. TBD - 12:35 pm