The collapse is officially complete. With the Brewers loss yesterday, they were officially eliminated from playoff contention. Yovani Gallardo only pitched into the sixth inning, allowing five runs on ten hits. Only three of those runs were earned, though, as the Brewers defense committed three errors in the game. The Brewers had their chances to score, with runners in scoring position in a few different innings. However, they only managed to put up three runs.
- Following yesyerday's loss, Adam McCalvy has some quotes from the Brewers players on the collapse and some stats on exactly how historic the collapse is.
- With the collapse complete, the speculation can come in full swing on what will happen with Ron Roenicke this offseason. Over on Bleacher Report, Andrew Prochnow says that for the Brewers to break the "curse of the St. Louis Cardinals", they have to get rid of Ron Roenicke.
- Meanwhile, on The Brewers Bar, Nick Michalski looks at the golden opportunities the Brewers have had in recent years and says that Mark Attanasio has to do something to take advantage of it.
- The Brewers have to address the first base position this offseason, and Adam McCalvy notes that the Brewers are looking at all of their options for the position.
- Another call that has to be made this offseason is what to do with Aramis Ramirez. However, Ramirez won't address that until the season is over.
- Could the Brewers shut down Ryan Braun for the last few games? Not likely, as Braun says that he hasn't even discussed that possibility with Roenicke.
- If you got a rain check for the Carlos Gomez bobblehead earlier this year, it will be redeemable until the end of the year. Nick Michalski notes this, as well as some of the other problems the Brewers have had with the giveaways recently.
- Tim Dillard has some good memories from growing up in minor league clubhouses, but there is one possession he has that he cherishes the most from that time.
Minor League Update
- John Sickels of Minor League Ball looks back at his original top 20 prospects list from the preseason and reviews how the players on that list did this season.
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has a review of the 2014 Brevard County season.
- Pirates 10, Braves 1
- Cardinals and Cubs had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Diamondbacks
Friday: Michael Wacha vs. Trevor Cahill - 8:40 pm
Saturday: Lance Lynn vs. Wade Miley - 7:10 pm
Sunday: Adam Wainwright vs. Josh Collmenter - 3:10 pm
- Pirates @ Reds
Friday: Vance Worley vs. Mike Leake - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Francisco Liriano vs. Alfredo Simon - 12:05 pm
Sunday: Gerrit Cole vs. Johnny Cueto - 12:10 pm
This Weekend's Action
There are three games left to finish the season, and all of those are at home against the Cubs. Brewers need to win one game to ensure a winning record in 2014, but that's about all they are playing for this weekend. Here are the starting matchups:
Friday: Eric Jokisch vs. Jimmy Nelson - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Tsuyoshi Wada vs. Wily Peralta - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Kyle Hendricks vs. Mike Fiers - 1:10 pm
(For those of you outside the Brewers & Cubs markets, all games this weekend will be free to watch on MLB.TV.)