There was no relief from the losing streak again last night. Yovani Gallardo labored through five innings, allowing seven runs, but only five of them were earned. Two were unearned thanks to some sloppy defense, mainly from Elian Herrera. While the pitching and defense struggled, the offense was quiet again, scoring only one run off of a Ryan Braun RBI single.
Brewers News (from BCB)
- Sad news this morning as word came out that Bruce Seid, the Brewers director of amateur scouting, had passed away. He was 53 and had been with the Brewers for 17 years.
- The Brewers made another series of September callups yesterday, promoting Jason Rogers, Matt Clark, and Hector Gomez. To clear 40-man roster space, Caleb Gindl was designated for assignment and Hiram Burgos was released.
- Carlos Gomez is expected to miss a few weeks with his wrist injury. An MRI showed no structural damage, just a bad sprain. He will be shut down for a week at least before resuming baseball activities.
- The Brewers rotation is unique, considering it does not have a true "ace". Matt Klaassen of FanGraphs analyzes the Brewers rotation and its success despite having no top pitcher.
- Has age caught up to Kyle Lohse? Jonathan Judge of Disciples of Uecker looks at how Kyle Lohse has changed as he has gotten older.
- Ben Tannenbaum of The Brewers Bar breaks down the stats behind Jonathan Broxton and is not impressed with what he sees.
- The Brewer Nation blog looks back at the careers of Caleb Gindl and Hiram Burgos as both appear to be headed out of the organization.
- Jacob Shafer of Bleacher Report profiles a Brewers team that is on the brink of disaster following Carlos Gomez's injury.
- Meanwhile, on the other side, Garrett FitzGerald of Bleacher Report has a more positive look at the road the Brewers have to reach the playoffs.
- Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew looks at the long road Matt Clark traveled to get to his MLB debut.
Minor League Update
|Huntsville Stars||AA||0-0||Playoffs start September 4.|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||0-0||OFF||
Midwest League Playoffs
Kane County @ Wisconsin
|Helena Brewers||R||26-48||Missoula 3, Helena 1||Helena @ Billings|
News & Notes
- Zack Hirsch of the Helena Brewers was named the Pioneer League pitcher of the week.
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Edinson Volquez) @ Cardinals (Shelby Miller) - 12:45 pm
- Reds (Dylan Axelrod) @ Orioles (Miguel Gonzalez) - 6:05 pm
The Brewers try to salvage something in Chicago and end this losing streak again tonight against the Cubs. Matt Garza makes his return from the disabled list, and will face Kyle Hendricks. First pitch is at 7:095 pm, and MLB.com has the preview.