Brewers News & Notes
- The big news of the day yesterday was the trade of Francisco Rodriguez. He was sent to the Tigers for infield prospect Javier Betancourt and a player to be named later.
- The trade of Francisco Rodriguez means there will be several changes for the Brewers as they continue to rebuild for 2016. Following the trade, I went through the different ways that the Brewers will be impacted by the Rodriguez trade.
- Rodriguez has been in the majors for 15 years, and in that time, he has had to make several changes as his age has affected how he pitches. Jeff Sullivan looks at how Rodriguez has changed his pitch selection over the years to stay successful in the majors.
- The trade of Francisco Rodirguez signifies a change in the front office philosophy over the last several years by Doug Melvin. J.P. Breen of BP Milwaukee suggests that the Brewers trade of Rodriguez means that previous candidates deemed untradeable will now be more open to discussion.
- Over on Disciples of Uecker, Nicholas Zettel looks at the Brewers history with Rodriguez, as well as what kind of player the Brewers are getting in Javier Betancourt.
- For a view from the other side of the trade, Catherine Slonksnis of Bless You Boys has their report of the Rodriguez trade. In addition, HookSlide asks if this will end the Tigers streak of cursed closers, Patrick OKennedy looks at the Tigers payroll impact, and Rob Rogacki notes that most opinions on the trade for the Tigers have been positive.
- Earlier this week, Travis took part in SB Nation's yearly MLB offseason simulator, building the Brewers through the 2015-2016 offseason. He summarized all of his transactions in a post yesterday.
- What was the best Brewers defensive play of 2015? Yesterday's poll asked what the best defensive play of the year was.
Minor League Update
- On the Timber Rattlers website, Kyle Lobner looks back at Jake Gatewood's 2015 season and how he dealt with his rough year, including a demotion back to the rookie team.
- Over on the Rattler Radio blog, they look at the minor league all-stars from the Brewers organization.
- Several former members of the Brevard County Manatees are playing in the Arizona Fall League. Dave Walkovic of ManateesBaseball.com looks at the former Manatees playing in the league.
- Also on the Manatees website, there is an interview with Brevard County coach Ned Yost IV.
- Award week continued with the announcement of the Cy Young winners. Dallas Keuchel of the Astros won the award in the American League, and Jake Arrieta of the Cubs won in the National League.
- Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis underwent shoulder surgery and will miss four to five months.
- The minimum salary for 2016 will remain the same, staying at $507,500 after a lack of inflation over the last year.