The Brewers Trades
- For the third straight day on Friday, the Brewers made a trade. On Friday, the Brewers sent Luis Sardinas to the Mariners for outfielder Ramon Flores.
- Though Jonathan Villar isn't likely to be a key part of the Brewers rebuild, his acquisition still provides some value. Derek argues that it's still worth the chance, even if Villar doesn't provide much value to the team.
- Did GM David Stearns make a mistake by trading Francisco Rodriguez when he did? Michael Bradburn of BP Milwaukee believes that the timing of the Rodriguez trade was unusual, and Stearns may have been able to get more with better timing.
- Following the recent trades last week, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker evaluates the acquisition of Jonathan Villar, as well as the trade of Luis Sardinas.
- While it's not a big name, the acquisition of Jonathan Villar still has some value to the team. Seth Victor of BP Milwaukee believes that Villar could fill the gaps for the Brewers as they wait for their own prospects to develop.
Rule 5 Draft
- Also on Friday, the Brewers decided to protect three players from the Rule 5 draft by adding them to the 40-man roster. Derek has the list of players the Brewers protected, and looks at who they chose not to protect as well.
- Over in the FanPosts, Aaron128 looks at the players left off of the 40-man roster and unprotected from the Rule 5 draft, and the biggest surprises for players that were not protected.
- With the Rule 5 decisions made, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at his favorite players to acquire in December's draft.
Other News and Notes
- One candidate for an extension this offseason is Jonathan Lucroy, who could be kept long-term if he is not traded. Kyle looked at what an extension for Lucroy could look like.
- The first invitations for Spring Training have been made. Catcher Rene Garcia, infielder Hernan Perez, and RHP Hiram Burgos each received an invite.
- This year's Brewers clubhouse sale is scheduled for the first week of December. It will take place December 4-6, and Cait Covers the Bases has the full details on the sale.
- Where is the best place to wait out a zombie apocalypse? In the FanShots, great198 has a link to an article that argues why Miller Park is the ideal place to survive a zombie apocalypse.
Minor League Update
- Continuing in the series on minor league depth, Travis takes a look at the minor league depth for the team at second base.
- Prior to the weekend's championship games, Travis previewed both games.
- The Surprise Saguaros lost in the championship game of the Arizona Fall League on Friday, but Yadiel Rivera received an honor from the league, as he was named the winner of the Dernell Stenson Sportsmanship Award for the league this year.
- Looking back at the Arizona Fall League season, Jonathan Mayo named two Brewers prospects, Josh Hader and Yadiel Rivera, as breakout prospects from the league.
- The Astros designated outfielder L.J. Hoes for assignment.
- The Athletics designated RHP A.J. Griffin for assignment.
- The Blue Jays acquired RHP Jesse Chavez from the Athletics for RHP Liam Hendricks.
- The Cubs acquired RHP Spencer Patton from the Rangers for infielder Frandy De La Rosa.
- The Dodgers have hired former player Dave Roberts as their new manager.
- The Mariners designated LHP Danny Hultzen for assignment.
- The Diamondbacks designated RHP Allen Webster for assignment.
- The Padres claimed catcher Josmil Pinto off waivers from the Twins.
- The Phillies claimed RHP A.J. Achter off waivers from the Twins.
- The Reds signed RHP Blake Wood to a major league deal.
- The Rockies designated RHP John Axford, LHP Rex Brothers, RHP Tommy Kahnle, and utility player Wilin Rosario for assignment.
- The Tigers acquired Cameron Maybin from the Braves for LHP Ian Krol and LHP Gabe Speier.