Brewers News & Notes
- The big news of the day was the trade of Adam Lind. Yesterday morning, he was traded to the Mariners for three lower-level prospects.
- Many people were underwhelmed by the return from the trade of Adam Lind, mainly because it didn't include a top-tier prospect in it. However, that doesn't mean the trade is bad, and Derek explains why.
- In the wake of the trade, the Brewers are already looking at potential options for next season. Travis notes that the Brewers have shown interest in acquiring Pedro Alvarez to fill the first base position.
- Of course, Alvarez isn't the only option for the Brewers to fill the hole. There are both internal and external options to fill first base, and Kyle takes a look at some of those possibilities.
- Over on The First Out At Third, Justin Schultz looks at the three players the Brewers got in the Lind trade and what to expect from them.
- Also at the Winter Meetings yesterday, MLB recommended that all teams extend their protective netting to between the dugouts, and Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers will make this change at Miller Park by Opening Day.
- Yesterday, manager Craig Counsell addressed the media at the Winter Meetings. Adam McCalvy has a few quotes from the manager, as well as two short videos of his interviews yesterday. In addition, MLB.com has a full transcript of his interview with the media.
- Over on BP Milwaukee, Colin Anderle wrote a poem about the Winter Meetings.
- The Angels signed outfielder Craig Gentry to a one-year, $1 million deal.
- The Athletics signed reliever John Axford to a two-year, $10 million contract.
- The Braves signed infielder Emilio Bonifacio to a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
- The Phillies signed reliever David Hernandez to a one-year, $3.9 million deal. They also traded closer Ken Giles to the Astros for four players.
- The Mets signed infielder Asdrubal Cabrera to a two-year, $18.5 million deal. They also acquired second baseman Neil Walker from the Pirates for LHP Jonathon Niese.
- The Tigers acquired LHP Justin Wilson from the Yankees for RHP Luis Cessa and Chad Green.
- The White Sox acquired third baseman Brett Lawrie from the Athletics for minor league pitchers Zachary Erwin and J.B. Wendelken.