Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers finished up the meetings with a trade, acquiring third baseman Garin Cecchini from the Red Sox for cash.
- The Brewers also took part in the Rule 5 Draft yesterday, and made several selections in the draft. They chose utility player Colin Walsh and RHP Zack Jones in the MLB rounds, as well as LHP Mitch Lambson and RHP Kender Villegas in the Triple-A round
- The Brewers also completed the Francisco Rodriguez trade from a few weeks ago, acquiring catcher Manny Pina from the Tigers yesterday.
- While the Brewers have a few options in the organization that they could turn to for first base next season, they are also going to look at external options. Derek notes that the Brewers plan to cast a wide net when looking for a first baseman for 2016.
- How many repeat All-Stars for the Brewers can you name? Yesterday's Thursday Thinker from Kyle Lobner challenges you to name the 16 Brewers who appeared in multiple All-Star Games as a Brewer.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com has a recap of the Winter Meetings, with the Brewers switching focus to the infield and center field following the meetings.
- Hank the Ballpark Pup made his stage debut last night in a production of A Christmas Carol. Cait Covers the Bases has some pictures from the event.
- The Astros signed reliever Tony Sipp to a three-year, $18 million contract.
- The Cardinals signed reliever Jonathan Broxton to a two-year deal.
- The Nationals signed reliever Shawn Kelley to a three-year contract. They also traded third baseman Yunel Escobar to the Angels for pitcher Trevor Gott and minor league RHP Michael Brady.
- The Phillies signed RHP Ernesto Frieri to a minor-league deal.
- The Pirates signed RHP Juan Nicasio to a one-year contract.
- The Rockies signed first baseman Mark Reynolds to a one-year, $2.6 million contract.