Brewers News & Notes
- The non-tender deadline was yesterday, and while we weren't expecting any non-tenders from the Brewers, we ended up getting one. The Brewers chose to non-tender Elian Herrera at the deadline yesterday, making him a free agent. GM David Stearns has indicated he wants to sign Herrera to a minor-league contract, but for now the team valued the 40-man roster space more.
- Could the Brewers consider dealing other bullpen arms in the quest to rebuild? Derek looks at three pitchers in the bullpen who have some trade value.
- On the other side, Kyle makes an argument for acquiring Orioles pitcher Dylan Bundy, whose career has been stalled by injuries but still has a lot of talent.
- Over in the FanPosts, formick looks at some possible Rule 5 draft targets for the Brewers.
- Not all player moves need to be big to have a major impact on the roster. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker shows how small changes could bring better results to the team.
- While Kyle Lohse had a rough 2015, it wasn't the worst season in Brewers history. Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee looks at some of the best and worst performances by pitchers in the history of the Brewers.
Minor League Update
- Travis continued looking through the depth in the Brewers system with a position with a lot of depth right now: the corner outfield.
- The Biloxi Shuckers continue to receive honors after their inaugural season, with Baseball America naming the Shuckers as the minor league team of the year.
- John Sickels of Minor League Ball has his list of top 20 prospects in the Brewers system entering the 2016 season.
- On the Timber Rattlers website, Kyle Lobner has a profile of Trent Clark and Malik Collymore, likely members of the 2016 Timber Rattlers.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Steven Jewell looks at a few fringe prospects in the Brewers system.
- The non-tender deadline was yesterday, and several teams chose to not offer new contracts to players in pre-arbitration or arbitration. MLB Trade Rumors has a complete list of all of the players not offered contracts, a list for the American League and a list for the National League.
- The Braves signed infielder Gordon Beckham to a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
- The Mariners have agreed to a one-year deal with outfielder Nori Aoki.
- The Orioles acquired catcher Francisco Pena from the Royals for cash and designated infielder Paul Janish and RHP Steve Johnson for assignment.
- The Padres acquired LHP Drew Pomeranz from the Athletics for first baseman Yonder Alonson. They have named Mark McGwire as their new bench coach.
- The Phillies claimed outfielder Peter Bourjos off waivers from the Cardinals.
- The Rays acquired catcher Hank Conger from the Astros in exchange for cash.