Brewers News & Notes
- The market on Adam Lind had been developing slowly yesterday, with teams interested but little progress being made towards a deal. That changed late in the day, when the Brewers and Mariners made significant progress towards a deal (though no deal yet). Meanwhile, another team that could jump into the mix is the Orioles, who were also rumored to be interested earlier in the day.
- Another area of the team that has been getting some interest on the trade market has been the bullpen. During an interview on MLB Network yesterday, GM David Stearns admitted that they could trade players from the bullpen since it is a position of strength. At the same time, waiting while other relievers are removed from the market has put the Brewers in a better position, and those trade chips from the bullpen could yield better returns.
- Meanwhile, the Indians have been looking to trade one of their starting pitchers this offseason. Derek asks if the Brewers and Indians could match up on a trade for starting pitcher Trevor Bauer.
- With Orlando Arcia approaching the majors, Jean Segura has been seen as an expendable asset. A rumor came out yesterday that the Brewers have been asked about Segura by the Blue Jays.
- The Rule 5 Draft is scheduled for Thursday, and it is basically confirmed that the Brewers will make at least one selection in the draft. Kyle has a primer for Thursday's draft, including some of the most interesting candidates in the draft.
- How will Shane Peterson be used next year? Seth Victor of BP Milwaukee looks at how the Brewers could choose to use the bench outfielder/first baseman in 2016.
- While revenue in MLB has increased, payrolls haven't seen the same increases over the board. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker analyzes how teams have changed their spending as revenues have changed.
- During the Winter Meetings, there has been a series of auctions ongoing for the Stand Up To Cancer cause. Three Brewers items are included in the mix, and you can bid on them until tomorrow night.
Minor League Update
- Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew has a profile of top ten prospect Clint Coulter.
- The Braves signed catcher Tyler Flowers to a 2-year, $5.3 million contract.
- The Cubs signed infielder/outfielder Ben Zobrist to a 4-year, $56 million contract, and traded second baseman Starlin Castro to the Yankees for pitcher Adam Warren and second baseman Brendan Ryan.
- The Diamondbacks acquired starting pitcher Shelby Miller from the Braves for shortstop Dansby Swanson, outfielder Ender Inciarte, and pitcher Aaron Blair.
- The Mariners acquired RHP Evan Scribner from the Athletics for reliever Trey Cochran-Gill.