Ryan Braun finally snapped his spring training cold streak with his first hit of the spring in yesterday's game. Tyler Thornburg made a spot start in place of Mike Fiers, who was scratched from his start. Thornburg allowed two runs and four hits in three innings of work. Matt Long hit a home run in the game as well.
Brewers News and Analysis
- In the BCB Community Prospects rankings, you voted for Victor Roache in the #18 spot. There's still a little time to vote for #19, where Miguel Diaz has a small lead.
- Mike Fiers was scratched from his spring start yesterday. Adam McCalvy reported that it's just a little shoulder weakness, but he threw a bullpen session so everything is looking fine.
- The Brewers players are happy that Ron Roenicke's option was picked up. Mike Bauman of Brewers.com notes that the players approve of the decision to pick up Roenicke's option.
- With Roenicke's option picked up, the leaves Doug Melvin with a contract set to expire at the end of 2015. However, Adam McCalvy reports that Melvin is "not worried" about his contract status right now.
- In his final notes of the day, Adam McCalvy notes that Taylor Jungmann and Corey Knebel were both optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs after yesterday's game.
- Over on FanGraphs, their team released their preview of the Brewers prospects for 2015. Kiley McDaniel has a look at the Brewers minor-league system overall. Meanwhile, Carson Cistulli focuses in on the five prospects that are most likely to make an impact on the major-league team this year.
- Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors compiled a list of all of the NL Central players that have less than five years of service times and no minor-league options. Four Brewers in camp are on this list: Mike Fiers, Hector Gomez, Jeremy Jeffress, and Luis Jimenez. Fiers and Jeffress already have 25-man spots locked down, but Gomez and Jimenez are fighting for jobs.
- Over on Miller Park Prospects, Marcus Young continued his series looking at five prospects to watch at each position for the upcoming season. Today, he's focusing on right-handed starting pitchers.
- Cait Covers the Bases has an early preview of all of the t-shirt giveaways planned for the 2015 season. Cait also has a look at who the Brewers players are picking in the NCAA tournament.
NL Central Update
- Mets (SS) 7, Cardinals 2
- Orioles 6, Pirates 4
- Diamondbacks 9, Cubs 5
- Rangers @ Reds - Cancelled
This Weekend’s Games
- Phillies @ Pirates (SS) - 12:05 pm
- Pirates (SS) @ Twins - 12:05 pm
- Cardinals @ Mets - 12:10 pm
- Cubs @ White Sox - 3:05 pm
- Reds @ Giants - 8:05 pm
- Braves (SS) @ Cardinals - 12:05 pm
- Red Sox @ Pirates - 12:05 pm
- Reds @ Athletics - 3:05 pm
- Mariners @ Cubs - 3:05 pm
- Pirates @ Astros - 12:05 pm
- Cardinals @ Orioles - 12:05 pm
- Athletics @ Reds - 3:05 pm
- Padres @ Cubs - 3:05 pm
- Some of the recent changes proposed to baseball have us complaining, but this change may be a good one. In an effort to provide more excitement to the final day of the season, all 15 games on the final day will start at the exact same time (2:00 pm CT). Over the last few years, there's been at least one playoff race that came down to the last day, and this will add more excitement to it.
It's a full schedule of Spring Training games on tap this weekend. No TV for any of them, and only Saturday's game will be on the radio. Here are the matchups:
Friday: Diamondbacks @ Brewers, 3:05 pm
Saturday: Brewers @ Rangers, 3:05 pm
Sunday: White Sox @ Brewers, 3:05 pm