The Brewers had the day off.
Brewers News and Analysis
- While the Brewers had the day off yesterday, Jimmy Nelson made a start in a minor-league game and was hit for 10 runs in 4 1/3 innings. This prompted Noah to ask if we should be worried about Jimmy Nelson.
- With the bullpen race down to three candidates for two spots, Derek analyzed the remaining candidates to see who would most likely make the bullpen.
- Continuing in his position-by-position preview of the NL Central, Noah looked at the shortstops in the division.
- Need an excuse to miss work for Opening Day? Kyle Lohse wrote a note to excuse you from work on April 6.
- MLB.com sat down with Ron Roenicke last week for a discussion of the Brewers heading into the season. Adam McCalvy has the video of the interview, as well as some highlights from it.
- Will Smith has settled into his role as a late-inning reliever for the Brewers. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how Smith has adjusted to it as a Brewer.
- What would happen if Jonathan Lucroy never struck out? That's what Carson Cistulli looks at as he looks at as he analyzes Jonathan Lucroy's 0% strikeout rate in the spring.
- Could Branon Kintzler's career be coming to a close? Justin Schultz of The First Out At Third looks at Kintzler's decline over the past year and how he may not be able to recover.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has five catching prospects to watch in 2015.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Pete Schwichtenberg sees Michael Ratterree as a prospect to watch this year.
- Bernie Brewer is heading to New York City for a day. Cait Covers the Bases notes that Bernie Brewer will make an appearance on Good Morning America on Friday.
- The new Selig Experience is expected to open at Miller Park on May 29. Cait Covers the Bases has a preview of what you can expect from the experience.
NL Central Update
- Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Cardinals 6, Nationals 2
- Padres 6, Reds 3
- Cubs 8, Giants 5
- Marlins @ Cardinals - 12:05 pm
- Pirates @ Tigers - 12:05 pm
- Cubs @ Rangers (SS) - 3:05 pm
- The Cardinals have announced that reliever Carlos Villanueva will make the 25-man roster.
- The Dodgers signed right-handed pitcher Freddy Garcia to a minor-league deal.
- The Mets acquired LHP Alex Torres from the Padres for RHP Corey Mazzoni and a PTBNL. They also acquired LHP Jerry Blevins from the Nationals for outfielder Matt den Dekker.
- The Red Sox acquired switch-hitting catcher Sandy Leon from the Nationals in exchange for cash.
- Breaking the trend of massive previews with nothing but words, The Hardball Times has a preview of the 2015 season in the form of several graphs.
- Yesterday, the Cubs sent Kris Bryant to the minors (along with two other players), which is the move that everyone expected to happen this year. After the announcement was made, the MLBPA made a statement denouncing the demotion and calling it "a bad day for baseball".
- Nathaniel Grow of FanGraphs believes that the MLBPA has a growing problem with player salaries, and that the Kris Bryant demotion is just a piece of that.
- With the growing concerns about game time, should MLB bring back bullpen carts? That's what Jerry Crasnick of ESPN asks, thinking it could inject some nostalgia into the game while speeding it up a little.
The Brewers finish off the month of March and start their last week of Spring Training with a game at Maryvale against the Reds. First pitch is at 3:05 pm. The game will be on Fox Sports Wisconsin and tape-delayed on MLB Network. It will also be carried on the Brewers Radio Network.