In Carlos Gomez's first game out with his hamstring injury, the offense didn't show up. John Lackey held the Brewers to five hits over seven shutout innings. Mike Fiers pitched five shutout innings himself, but then got into some trouble in the sixth and finished with 5 2/3 innings pitched, allowing two runs, seven hits, and a walk with four strikeouts. Jeremy Jeffress and Tyler Thornburg also each allowed a run.
Carlos Gomez went to the DL with his hamstring injury.
The big news of the day yesterday revolved around Carlos Gomez. He was sent back to Milwaukee for further evaluation and testing of his hamstring injury. The injuries revealed a small problem with the hamstring that would take at least a few weeks to heal, so Gomez was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
The Brewers did not announce a corresponding move right away, but that came in this morning. To take the place of Gomez on the roster, Jason Rogers was recalled from Colorado Springs. This move appears to be more about getting another bat on the team, as Rogers has done well in the minors and was off to a hot start for the Sky Sox. Meanwhile, during Gomez's absence, the top options to replace Gomez in the leadoff spot are Jean Segura and Scooter Gennett. Segura got the start there yesterday and went 1-for-4.
There is no definite timetable for Carlos Gomez's return yet. He is back in Milwaukee for now, and will be shut down for a week before being reevaluated. After that, we should have a better indication of when Carlos Gomez will return for the Brewers.
Brewers News & Notes
- Should Ron Roenicke be challenging more plays as a manager? Noah looks back at Monday's game to see if he should have challenged the call, and also at Roenicke's number of challenges overall.
- Jonathan Lucroy has been in a slump to start the season. Adam McCalvy notes that Lucroy has been frustrated at the plate so far, and a pair of hits on Wednesday may be the start of that turning around.
- This season, the Cardinals are honoring Oscar Taveras with a patch on their jerseys, and also had a special moment honoring him at their home opener. Michael Blazek is a former teammate of Taveras, and Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has a short blog post on Blazek's reaction to the Taveras tribute.
- Despite losing on Thursday, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker was encouraged by what he saw from Mike Fiers in his start.
- Following a 2-7 slump to start the season, Nick Michalski of The Brewers Bar is angry at the Brewers performance so far and has some harsh criticisms of the team.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||2-5||Colorado Springs @ Round Rock (PPD)||
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Nashville
Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Nashville
Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Nashville
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||3-3||Mobile 4, Biloxi 3
Mobile 2, Biloxi 0
Friday: Biloxi @ Mobile
Saturday: Biloxi @ Mobile
Sunday: Biloxi @ Mobile
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||3-4||St. Lucie 14, Brevard County 6||
Friday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Saturday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Sunday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||1-7||Burlington 6, Wisconsin 4||
Friday: Burlington @ Wisconsin
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Peoria
News & Notes
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has a photo gallery from yesterday's Timber Rattlers game.
- On his YouTube channel, Tim Dillard has two new videos available. In the first, he asks Tyler Cravy to name all fifteen American League teams. In the second, he asks Jed Bradley to name ten Star Wars characters.
NL Central Update
- Cubs, Pirates, and Reds all had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Padres @ Cubs
Friday: James Shields vs. Jason Hammel - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Tyson Ross vs. Kyle Hendricks - 1:20 pm
Sunday: Andrew Cashner vs. Jon Lester - 1:20 pm
- Reds @ Cardinals
Friday: Johnny Cueto vs. Michael Wacha - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Homer Bailey vs. Carlos Martinez - 1:15 pm
Sunday: Mike Leake vs. Adam Wainwright - 7:05 pm
- The Angels selected the contract of LHP Adam Wilk from Triple-A, optioned RHP Drew Rucinski, and moved LHP Tyler Skaggs to the 60-day DL.
- The Blue Jays designated RHP Todd Redmond for assignment and recalled infielder Ryan Goins from Triple-A.
- The Cubs recalled third baseman Kris Bryant from Triple-A and placed Mike Olt on the 15-day DL.
- The Diamondbacks recalled outfielder Yasmany Tomas from Triple-A.
- The Dodgers claimed LHP Ryan Dennick off waivers from the Reds and designated LHP David Huff for assignment.
- The Mets placed third baseman David Wright on the 15-day DL with a strained hamstring.
- Nationals reliever Craig Stammer will undergo elbow surgery and is expected to miss the remainder of the 2015 season.
- The Rays signed catcher J.P. Arencibia to a minor-league deal. They also recalled RHP Jose Dominguez from Triple-A and optioned RHP Kirby Yates.
- Yankees minor league pitcher Wilking Rodriguez has been suspended 80 games for a violation of the minor-league drug program.
- Three games into the Blue Jays home schedule, there have been some concerns raised about the new turf at the Rogers Centre. Ian Denomme of Big League Stew reports that MLB is monitoring the games played at the Rogers Centre because of concerns that the turf is affecting fair play.
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers travel to Pittsburgh this weekend for a three-game series against the Pirates. This morning, Derek publised a series preview of the weekend series against the Pirates. Here are all of this weekend's starting matchups and times.
Friday: Jimmy Nelson vs. Jeff Locke - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Kyle Lohse vs. Vance Worley - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Matt Garza vs. Gerrit Cole - 12:35 pm