The Brewers used a reworked lineup yesterday, and to no one's surprise, it worked out quite well. The Brewers scored 10 runs on 12 hits, including two home runs, one of which was a grand slam by Elian Herrera. It would have been enough to win most nights...except the pitching staff gave up 16 runs. Mike Fiers was hit for eight runs (four earned), all coming off of grand slams in back-to-back innings. The pitching staff gave up five home runs in total, wit Tyler Thornburg also allowing two and Neal Cotts allowing the other one.
Brewers News & Notes
Roster Moves/Injury News
- Yesterday, the Brewers placed Scooter Gennett on the 15-day DL with his right hand laceration. In corresponding moves, they recalled Elian Herrera from Triple-A Colorado Springs and designated Brandon Kintzler for assignment.
- Prior to yesterday's game, the Brewers announced that the expected recovery timeframe for Jonathan Lucroy is four to six weeks. That would mean Lucroy would be back in mid to late May.
- This morning, to try to spark the bullpen, the Brewers optioned Tyler Thornburg to Triple-A Colorado Springs and recalled reliever Rob Wooten.
- With the bad start getting worse by the day, people are beginning to talk about personnel changes. Over on Bleacher Report, Andrew Prochnow believes that the Brewers need to completely clear out the front office.
- What would a complete rebuild look like? Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker discusses four things that the Brewers need to do to survive a rebuild.
- One of the problems that the Brewers have faced so far this season is hitting pitches low in the zone. Justin Schultz of The First Out At Third analyzes the Brewers struggles to hit the low pitch.
- Recent days have been filled with many ups and downs for Brewers fans. Tim Muma of Brewers Mix portrayed the various emotions fans are feeling with a series of GIFs.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||3-9||Round Rock 8, Colorado Springs 2||Colorado Springs @ Round Rock|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||6-5||Biloxi 6, Jacksonville 0
Jacksonville 5, Biloxi 2
|Jacksonville @ Biloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||6-6||Lakeland 4, Brevard County 3
Brevard County 8, Lakeland 6
|Lakeland @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||3-10||Cedar Rapids 10, Wisconsin 1||Cedar Rapids @ Wisconsin|
News & Notes
- The Shuck Dynasty blog has game notes for today's game between Biloxi and Jacksonville.
- Rattlers Radio has postgame notes following Wisconsin's loss last night to Cedar Rapids.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jason Hammel) @ Pirates (Vance Worley) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals (John Lackey) @ Nationals (Doug Fister) - 6:05 pm
- The Diamondbacks signed infielder Kevin Frandsen to a minor-league contract.
- The Marlins designated LHP Matt Tracy for assignment, selected the contract of RHP Nick Masset, and optioned RHP Jose Urena to Triple-A.
- Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz was suspended for one game for making contact with an umpire. He is appealing the suspension.
- Royals pitcher Kelvin Herrera was suspended five games and fined an undisclosed amount for throwing pitches at Athletics third baseman Brett Lawrie. Pitcher Yordano Ventura was also fined for the same actions.
- Cincinnati manager Bryan Pryce apologized yesterday for the profanity he used in a tirade about the media earlier in the week. However, he still stands behind the message itself.
- As the Angels debate what to do with Josh Hamilton, they have sent him to Arizona to begin a rehab program with a potential timetable of a June return.
Once again, the Brewers will try to break their losing streak in tonight's game. Jimmy Nelson starts for the Brewers, and Johnny Cueto goes for the Reds. First pitch is at 7:10 pm, and Jim Hoehn of MLB.com has the preview.