In his final start of the spring, Matt Garza got hit hard again. He gave up four runs on eight hits in three innings, though did have six strikeouts and no walks. Meanwhile, Jonathan Lucroy and Ryan Braun went back-to-back with home runs in the fifth inning to continue their hot springs.
Brewers News and Analysis
- Elian Herrera was returned to minor-league camp yesterday, which likely means that Logan Schafer will get the last spot on the bench and set the team for the start of the season. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com looks at the expected roster for Opening Day for the Brewers.
- In the minors, a couple of pitchers experienced setbacks as they recovered from injuries. Adam McCalvy has injury updates on both Johnny Hellweg and Taylor Williams.
- The Brewers also made a couple of minor-league moves yesterday, releasing outfielder D'Vontrey Richardson, as well as announcing Tommy Toledo's retirement. Pete Schwichtenberg of Reviewing the Brew looks back at Richardson's career in the Brewers organization.
- As the 2015 season is about to start, Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar has 10 questions about this year's team.
- Meanwhile, in preseason power rankings, Reviewing the Brew placed the Brewers at #3 in their initial NL Central power rankings.
- Getting ready for a visit to Miller Park? Cait Covers the Bases has the full preview of all of the new stands opening at Miller Park this year.
- Continuing in the Opening Day excuse notes theme, Jonathan Lucroy wrote an excuse note for SportsCenter anchor John Anderson after he had asked for one.
NL Central Update
- Mets 0, Cardinals 0
- Yankees (SS) 6, Pirates 2
- Indians 4, Reds 3
- Cubs had the day off.
This Weekend’s Spring Training Games
- Pirates @ Phillies - 6:05 pm
- Reds @ Blue Jays - 6:07 pm
- Cubs @ Diamondbacks - 8:40 pm
- Cardinals @ Redbirds (AAA) - 6:05 pm
- Pirates @ Phillies - 12:05 pm
- Reds @ Blue Jays - 12:07 pm
- Cubs @ Diamondbacks - 3:10 pm
- Cardinals have the day off.
Sunday's Regular Season Games
- Cardinals (Adam Wainwright) @ Cubs (Jon Lester) - 7:05 pm
- The Braves acquired RHP Trevor Cahill from the Diamondbacks in exchange for minor league outfielder Josh Elander and cash. Also, Braves RHP Arodys Vizcaino has been suspended 80 games for the use of a performance-enhancing drug.
- The Mariners signed LHP Joe Beimel to a minor-league deal.
- RHP Jose Valverde has opted out of his deal with the Padres.
- The Rangers claimed RHP Rule 5 pick Logan Verrett off of waivers from the Orioles.
- The Reds outrighted reliever Sam LeCure to Triple-A Louisville.
- The Royals placed RHP Louis Coleman on waivers.
- A judge has ruled that the Cubs can continue the renovations of their ballpark, including the construction of a Jumbotron in left field. Some of the business had sued the Cubs, saying that the construction would block their rooftop view of the games and destroy their businesses.
- Earlier this week, we had a story about how MLB needs to increase the streaming options they offer, specifically for in-market games. That could be happening sometime this season. Chris Cwik of Big League Stew notes that in a recent interview, Rob Manfred confirmed that he hopes to have in-market games available for streaming this season.
- Today in new ballpark foods, the White Sox are offering a complete meal in a helmet. Chris Cwik reports that the White Sox will offer a rib helmet this season, complete with fries, coleslaw, and corn bread.
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers finish up their Spring Training schedule this weekend with two final games against the Indians. Today's game takes place on the road at 3:05 pm and is an exclusive broadcast on MLB.com (and the only game today that is not free to watch). Then, the Brewers play one final game at Maryvale this spring on Saturday, with first pitch at 2:05 pm. Saturday's game will be on Fox Sports Wisconsin and tape-delayed on MLB Network, and will also be available on the Brewers Radio Network.