The Brewers are not off to a good start this year. Matt Garza was better than Kyle Lohse on Opening Day, but not by much. In his five innings of work, he allowed four runs on eight hits. Tyler Thornburg also allowed a run in his inning of work. The offense showed a little life as well, scoring two runs in the fifth inning. There was a scary moment in the game when Jean Segura was hit in the face by a pitch, but the helmet took most of the hit and Segura was fine after a minute or two.
Brewers News & Notes
- Ryan Braun was out of the lineup yesterday due to the strain in his ribcage. He is expected to miss no more than a few games, and could be back as soon as tonight.
- Online casino Bovada released a set of odds about which MLB manager is most likely to be fired first. Kyle notes that Ron Roenicke is not among the seven most likely managers to be fired.
- After a rough start from Matt Garza, he believes that he might have been tipping pitches against the Rockies. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com reports that Garza changed signs mid-game because he was concerned that the Rockies knew what was coming.
- The Brewers purposely chose a defensive-minded bench for this season, but that could come back to hurt them soon. Nathan Petrashek of Cream City Cables notes that the bench is lacking offense and that is an issue in the National League.
- Over on FanGraphs, Dave Cameron believes that the Brewers could be terrible this season as part of his five things he believes about the 2015 season.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||Season begins on April 9.|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||Season begins on April 9.|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||Season begins on April 9.|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||Season begins on April 9.|
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has a preview of the upcoming season for the Brevard County Manitees.
- Adam McCalvy takes a look at the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, who are expected to be loaded with Brewers prospects this season.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals @ Cubs - Postponed due to rain & freezing wind chills.
- Pirates & Reds had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (Lance Lynn) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 1:20 pm
- Pirates (Gerrit Cole) @ Reds (Mike Leake) - 6:05 pm
- The Athletics will sign outfielder Cody Ross to a major-league deal after he clears release waivers.
- The Giants placed starting pitcher Matt Cain on the disabled list with a forearm strain.
- The Mets placed reliever Jenrry Mejia on the disabled list with elbow inflammation.
- The Orioles reinstated first baseman Chris Davis from the restricted list after he served the final game of his 25-game suspension.
- Marlins RHP Aaron Crow will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the remainder of the 2015 season.
- Former Brewers pitcher John Axford is back in Milwaukee with the Rockies, and that gave Adam McCalvy a chance to catch up with him. McCalvy spoke with Axford about the recovery of his son from a rattlesnake bite and an inadvertent snub on Opening Day.
- Despite being a good service overall, there are still some holes in the MLB TV package. Bradley Woodrum of TechGraphs has a list of grievances about the service.
- Wrigley Field has fixed one issue with their field after their Opening Night disaster. They have brought porta-potties in to help prevent these issues from happening again.
- April 7 is a big day for baseball movies. Chris Cwik of Big League Stew notes that three big baseball movies have been released on that day.
- Business Insider released a report of beer prices yesterday. Chris Cwik of Big League Stew reviews the report, noting Brewer prices are right in the middle.
Hoping to avoid a three-game sweep, the Brewers send out Wily Peralta tonight in the final game of their three-game series against the Rockies. Eddie Butler will start for the Rockies, and the game is at 7:10 pm tonight. Thomas Harding of MLB.com has the preview.