Facing off against the White Sox ace, the Brewers put up more of a fight than would have normally been expected. They got on the board early with a triple and RBI groundout, and that lead held until the fifth inning, when the White Sox put up two runs to take a 2-1 lead. The Brewers took the lead back in the bottom of the fifth, and the game held as a tie until the eighth inning. Against the Brewers bullpen, the White Sox scored a run off of Michael Blazek and a run off of Neal Cotts to take a 4-2 lead and win the game.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers have gone 8-4 in their last 12 games, showing signs of life for a team that was thought to be dead. Noah says that with plenty of time left in the season, the Brewers could hold for now and see what happens before trading any pieces.
- In his first nine games as manager, Counsell has been making the right decisions and the results are showing. Mike Bauman of MLB.com believes that Counsell's lineup change on Monday was just one of several good decisions by the new Brewers manager.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com notes that Jeremy Jeffress has the most appearance of all major league relievers entering Tuesday's game, and that Jeffress is fine with the workload.
- One point of success for the Brewers in the last few weeks has been their batting with runners in scoring position. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel points out that the Brewers RISP has risen to fifth in the NL and is .382 over the past 15 games.
- Over on Brewers Mix, Tim Muma looks at five players among the leaders in statistical categories through the first 33 games of the season.
- With the possibility of a rebuild still looming for the Brewers, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looked at the Braves for a model of how to handle a rebuild.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||12-20||Colorado Springs 10, Memphis 3||Memphis @ Colorado Springs|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||19-13||Biloxi 6, Jackson 4||Biloxi @ Jackson|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||15-16||Brevard County 5, Bradenton 4||Bradenton @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||8-24||Clinton 4, Wisconsin 3||Clinton @ Wisconsin|
News & Notes
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Michael Trzinski has a farm report for the Brevard County Manatees, and Kyle Lesniewski has a report for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Also, Pete Schwichtenberg notes that Devin Williams is set to report to Wisconsin.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (John Lackey) @ Indians (Corey Kluber) - 5:10 pm
- Pirates (Francisco Liriano) @ Phillies (Cole Hamels) - 6:05 pm
- Braves (Eric Stults) @ Reds (Raisel Iglesias) - 6:10 pm
- Mets (Matt Harvey) @ Cubs (Jason Hammel) - 7:05 pm
- The Angels designated RHP Ryan Mattheus for assignment and purchased the contract of first baseman/outfielder Marc Krauss.
- The Astros will activate outfielder George Springer from the 7-day DL today and have optioned outfielder Robbie Grossman.
- Braves pitcher Mike Minor will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the remainder of the 2015 season.
- The Orioles placed infielder Ryan Flaherty on the 15-day DL with a groin injury and recalled infielder Ray Navarro.
The Brewers will shoot for a second straight series victory (and four straight non-losing series) in the rubber match of their series against the White Sox tonight. Jimmy Nelson will duel against Jose Quintana in tonight's matchup of starting pitchers. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.