The Brewers had the day off
Brewers News & Notes
- After being held out of Wednesday's game with a sore pinky, it was revealed that Jean Segura's pinky was actually broken, and he was placed on the 15-day DL. To fill his spot on the roster, Luis Sardinas was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs. There is currently no timetable for Segura's return, but a broken bone typically keeps a player out for four to six weeks.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com writes that Craig Counsell learned to trust his instincts early in his career, and he is using that advice as he begins his managerial career.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker has a follow-up post on the Brewers bats and how they have been performing in recent weeks.
- Over on The Brewers Bar, Nich Michalski notes that the callup of Luis Sardinas will be the first glimpse into the success or failure of the Yovani Gallardo trade. Also, he is not happy that the roof at Miller Park is always closed and wants the Brewers to open it more often.
- To evaluate Doug Melvin's ability to draft pitchers, Kurtis Hardy of Bleacher Report grades Melvin's drafts over the years based on pitchers drafted in the first five rounds. (Fair warning: It is in slideshow format.)
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||13-21||Colorado Springs 8, Memphis 7||
Friday: Memphis @ Colorado Springs
Saturday: Round Rock @ Colorado Springs
Sunday: Round Rock @ Colorado Springs (DH)
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||20-14||Jackson 2, Biloxi 0||
Friday: Biloxi @ Jackson
Saturday: Jacksonville vs. Biloxi (in Huntsville)
Sunday: Jacksonville vs. Biloxi (in Huntsville)
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||15-18||Bradenton 7, Brevard County 6||
Friday: Brevard County @ Tampa
Saturday: Brevard County @ Tampa
Sunday: Brevard County @ Tampa
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||9-25||Wisconsin 9, Clinton 3||
Friday: Kane County @ Wisconsin
Saturday: Kane County @ Wisconsin
Sunday: Kane County @ Wisconsin
News & Notes
- Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects has a profile of Luis Sardinas.
- To cover the roster space at Colorado Springs vacated by Luis Sardinas, the Brewers promoted Yadiel Rivera from Biloxi to Colorado Springs.
- Alex M. Smith of MLB.com notes that Victor Roache had one of the best minor-league performances of the day yesterday, going 4-for-6 with 2 HR and 4 RBI for Brevard County.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals 2, Indians 1
- Cubs 6, Mets 5
- Reds 4, Giants 3
- Phillies 4, Pirates 2
This Weekend's Division Games
- Tigers @ Cardinals
Friday: Shane Greene vs. Carlos Martinez - 7:15 pm
Saturday: David Price vs. Tyler Lyons - 1:15 pm
Sunday: Alfredo Simon vs. Lance Lynn - 7:05 pm
- Pirates @ Cubs
Friday: Jeff Locke vs. Kyle Hendricks - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Gerrit Cole vs. Jon Lester - 3:05 pm
Sunday: AJ Burnett vs. Jake Arrieta - 1:20 pm
- Giants @ Reds
Friday: Madison Bumgarner vs. Jason Marquis - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Ryan Vogelsong vs. Mike Leake - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Chris Heston vs. Anthony DeSclafani - 12:10 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers start a ten-game road trip in New York tonight as they face the Mets. Derek posted a series preview for this series earlier today. Here are the starting pitcher matchups:
Friday: Kyle Lohse vs. Bartolo Colon
Saturday: Matt Garza vs. Jacob deGrom
Sunday: Wily Peralta vs. Noah Syndergaard