Carlos Gomez was back in the lineup on Monday and showed no ill effects of getting hit in the head by a pitch. He led off the game with a home run, giving the Brewers an early 1-0 lead. They would fall behind 2-1, but Aramis Ramirez tied the game with a home run of his own in the fourth inning. Carlos Gomez would then bring in the winning run in the seventh inning, and the bullpen would hold on for the 3-2 win.
Brewers News & Notes
- Prior to yesterday's game, Derek wrote a series preview for the Brewers-Tigers series. Meanwhile, over on Bless You Boys, Noah answered some questions about the Brewers for their series preview.
- After getting hit in the head with a pitch on Sunday, Carlos Gomez sent Mets starter Noah Syndergaard a message of encouragement about his pitching style.
- With Scooter Gennett demoted to Colorado Springs, is his opportunity to be a regular for the Brewers over? Pete Schwichtenberg of Reviewing the Brew believes that, considering the depth of middle infielders in the Brewers system, Gennett may not get another full-time chance with the Brewers.
- On the other side, Doug Melvin and Craig Counsell see this as a time for Scooter Gennett to get himself back on track. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Gennett will be called back up if he can show some consistency in the minors.
- What has gone wrong with Scooter Gennett so far this season? Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker analyzed his plate approach and has suggestions on how Gennett can improve while in the minors.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||15-23||Round Rock @ Colorado Springs (PPD)||Round Rock @ Colorado Springs (DH)|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||23-16||Biloxi 4, Jacksonville 0
Biloxi 5, Jacksonville 1
|Jacksonville vs. Biloxi (@ Huntsville)|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||16-21||Clearwater 2, Brevard County 1||Clearwater @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||10-28||Wisconsin 4, Burlington 2||Wisconsin @ Burlington|
News & Notes
- With Corey Knebel getting his callup, Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects wrote a profile on the relief pitcher.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Steven Jewell has a farm report for the Colorado Spring Sky Sox.
NL Central Update
- Mets 2, Cardinals 1
- Cubs, Reds, and Pirates all had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Twins (Ricky Nolasco) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals (Michael Wacha) @ Mets (Jon Niese) - 6:10 pm
- Reds (Johnny Cueto) @ Royals (Yordano Ventura) - 7:10 pm
- Cubs (Jason Hammel) @ Padres (James Shields) - 9:10 pm
- The Braves placed infielder Phil Gosselin on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured thumb and selected the contract of infielder Adonis Garcia.
- The Cubs are expected to designate LHP Phil Coke for assignment.
- The Mariners acquired Wellington Castillo from the Cubs for RHP Yoervis Medina.
- The Marlins placed pitcher Jarred Cosart on the 15-day disabled list with vertigo.
- The Orioles placed RHP Bud Norris on the disabled list with bronchitis and recalled RHP Tyler Wilson.
- The Red Sox outrighted outfielder Allen Craig to Triple-A.
- Yankees starting pitcher Chase Whitley will have Tommy John surgery and will be out for the rest of the 2015 season.
Game two of the series against the Tigers will take place this evening. Jimmy Nelson will face Anibal Sanchez in tonight's game. First pitch is at 6:08 pm, and Alejandro Zuniga of MLB.com has the preview.