Construction is in the final stages at MGM Park in Biloxi, home of the Brewers Double-A affiliate. While construction is ongoing, the front office has been relocated to a separate office as construction concludes. In the hectic schedule of the few weeks leading up to the home opener, there's bound to be some confusion. However, what happened on Tuesday at the Shuckers' office may not be topped.
Recently, a box arrived at the Shuckers office with labels identifying it as "mini chicken corn dogs". It was brought in and sat on the counter for a day, then was put into the office freezer. It was eventually removed from the freezer to be discarded by GM Buck Rogers when he noticed an additional label on the box from the Brewers plaque and trophy shop. It turns out that the box actually contained a plaque for Brewers minor league pitcher of the month Brooks Hall.
To be fair, some of the blame for the mixup should rest on the Brewers employee who decided to use a mini chicken corn dog box for shipping a plaque. It's easy enough to remove labels from a box (or at least cover them up). However, it's also odd that the Brewers didn't notify the Shuckers about an incoming plaque, or that a box of food that should be frozen sat on the counter for a day. Maybe it's just all part of the confusion of moving into a new ballpark. At least it will make a good story for years to come in the Shuckers new home.
The Brewers had a good chance to sweep the Tigers yesterday. Kyle Lohse pitched six solid innings, and the Brewers got two runs thanks to a Ryan Braun home run and a Elian Herrera RBI double. However, in the eighth inning, Jonathan Broxton got two quick outs before melting down, allowing four straight Tigers to reach base, the last on a bases-clearing triple. The Brewers couldn't recover in the ninth and had to settle for taking two of three from the Tigers.
Brewers News & Notes
- Luis Sardinas has come up to the majors and already made an impact at the shortstop position. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how Sardinas has managed to play so well so far with the Brewers.
- Ryan Braun has ten home runs, but he hasn't found as much luck when it comes to collecting base hits. Justin Schultz of The First Out At Third analyzes Ryan Braun's stats to show why he has been a victim of bad luck.
- Over on Disciples of Uecker, Nicholas Zettel looks at the rebuilding process and how to mix upcoming prospects into available windows for the team. In addition, he also looks at a key adjustment that Ryan Braun has made to his plate approach.
- It's been a long time since the Brewers have had a duo of players to man the infield as talented as Robin Yount and Jim Gantner. However, Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew believes that the future is looking bright for a new duo to man those positions soon.
- It's been seven years since the Brewers made the big trade for CC Sabathia. How have things played out since then? Over on Beyond the Box Score, Joseph Werner looks at the trade of Sabathia (as well as Cliff Lee) from the Indians point of view. Seven years later, knowing what they do now, would the Indians still make the same trades?
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||15-23||OFF||Colorado Springs @ Salt Lake|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||24-16||OFF||Birmingham vs. Biloxi (@ Huntsville)|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||17-22||Brevard County 8, Clearwater 4||Brevard County @ Fort Myers|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||11-29||Burlington 4, Wisconsin 2||Wisconsin @ Burlington|
News & Notes
- Despite not playing a true home game yet, the Biloxi Shuckers are doing extremely well through the first 40 games of the season. The Shuck Dynasty blog looks back at the season for the Shuckers so far.
NL Central Update
- Twins 4, Pirates 3
- Cardinals 9, Mets 0
- Royals 7, Reds 1
- Cubs 3, Padres 2
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (Jaime Garcia) @ Mets (Jacob deGrom) - 12:10 pm
- Cubs (Kyle Hendricks) @ Padres (Odrisamer Despaigne) - 8:10 pm
- Reds and Pirates have the day off.
- The Mariners signed RHP Kevin Gregg to a minor-league deal. Gregg had been part of the Reds bullpen to start the season.
- The Rangers designated outfielder Carlos Peguero for assignment.
- The Red Sox acquired RHP John Cornely from the Braves for cash considerations.
- The Rockies sent outfielder Drew Stubbs to the minors and recalled outfielder Brandon Barnes.
The Brewers conclude their ten-game road trip with a four-game series in Atlanta. In game one, Matt Garza meets Julio Teheran in the opening game of the series. First pitch is at 6:10 pm.