After placing Wily Peralta on the 15-day disabled list, the Brewers were faced with the question of who will replace him in the rotation. Yesterday, was found out that decision is being delayed for a few more days, as Mike Fiers was tabbed to start on short rest for Wily Peralta on Wednesday. With options available at Colorado Springs, it's a strange decision, but a nine-man bullpen means that Fiers doesn't have to stay in too long. Of course, the other side of that is they could have done a bullpen day with Michael Blazek pitching 3-4 innings, and the bullpen having a day to rest on Thursday. Regardless of the alternatives, it will be Mike Fiers start today.
This decision is only a short-term fix for the Brewers. They will still need someone to fill Peralta's rotation spot for a month until he returns. For now, the plan is to have that callup pitch on Sunday, with Jimmy Nelson and Kyle Lohse moving up a day to pitch on regular rest. Options at Triple-A right now include Taylor Jungmann, Tyler Thornburg, and Tyler Cravy. Michael Blazek also remains an option, though that would take a good reliever out of the bullpen. With the Colorado Springs rotation TBD right now (according to their website), the best we can do is monitor who they use for an indication of who the callup will be.
It was another case of same story, different night for the Brewers. Matt Garza was hit hard again, giving up five runs on eight hits and three walks in five innings. The Brewers didn't get a hit until the fourth inning, when Aramis Ramirez hit a solo home run. The Brewers did rally to close the gap to 5-3, but couldn't get any closer as late attempts to rally fell short.
Brewers News & Notes
- After great performances in Detroit and Atlanta, Ryan Braun took home co-player of the week honors yesterday. He hit three home runs with eleven RBI, and had a batting line of .381/.481/.952 for the week.
- The MLB draft is coming up in two weeks, meaning that they will be adding several new players to their system. In preparation, Derek looked at how much money the Brewers will have to spend on signing bonuses in the upcoming draft.
- Jonathan Lucroy will be back in the Brewers lineup soon. Barring any setbacks, he is set to go down to Brevard County for a rehab assignment and plans to be activated from the disabled list on Monday. (Of course, if you were hoping he would be back for Star Wars night and his bobblehead night, like I was, this is a bit of a disappointment that he will just fall short of that.)
- During an at-bat last night, Carlos Gomez was upset at Madison Bumgarner for a stare that he gave Gomez after he said something to himself. Adam McCalvy has more details on why Gomez was mad at Bumgarner.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Kyle Lesniewski looks at some of the options the Brewers have for replacing Wily Peralta in the rotation.
- The Selig Experience is set to open at Miller Park on Friday. Cait Covers the Bases has details on the new attraction at Miller Park.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||16-28||Las Vegas 9, Colorado Springs 1||Colorado Springs @ Las Vegas|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||27-18||OFF||Biloxi @ Chattanooga|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||18-26||Charlotte 7, Brevard County 3||Charlotte @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||13-33||Cedar Rapids 4, Wisconsin 1||Wisconsin @ Cedar Rapids|
News & Notes
- Tim Dillard has a few new videos on his channel. He has a word association with Matt Long, and another word association with Logan Schafer.
- Jeff Levering has some updates on the Brewers farm system in his Minor Details blog.
- Kyle Lesniewski of Reviewing the Brew has a report on the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Rockies (Kyle Kendrick) @ Reds (Mike Leake) - 11:35 am
- Marlins (Brad Hand) @ Pirates (Gerrit Cole) - 11:35 am
- Nationals (Max Scherzer) @ Cubs (Jon Lester) - 7:05 pm
- Diamondbacks (Josh Collmenter) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 7:15 pm
- The Braves and Dodgers agreed to a six-player trade late last night. The Braves will receive third baseman Juan Uribe and RHP Chris Withrow, and the Dodgers will get second baseman Alberto Callaspo and pitcher Eric Stults, Ian Thomas, and Juan Jaime.
- The Marlins removed third base coach Brett Butler from his position and reassigned Lenny Harris to be the new third base coach. They also promoted starting pitcher Jose Urena.
- The Orioles designated catcher Ryan Lavarnway for assignment and recalled catcher Steve Clevenger.
- The Rays placed first baseman James Loney on the 15-day DL with a broken finger and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. In addition, reliever Grant Balfour has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Rays and is now a free agent.
- The Royals activated starting pitcher Jason Vargas from the 15-day DL and optioned LHP Brandon Finnegan.
The Brewers will play a matinee today to finish up their three-game series against the Giants. Mike Fiers makes his short-rest start against Ryan Vogelsong of the Giants. First pitch is at 12:40 pm, and the game is not televised. Here is today's lineup:
Today's lineup against the Giants. First pitch 12:40 CT on @620wtmj. No TV. pic.twitter.com/UZ87dCv2sp— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) May 27, 2015