The Brewers short winning streak came to an end yesterday. They took an early 1-0 lead, but the Dodgers blew it open in the sixth and seventh innings with three home runs that put the Dodgers up 7-1. Matt Garza was decent, putting up a quality start of six innings and three runs allowed. However, Zack Greinke was better, holding the Brewers to one unearned run and a total of two hits. The Brewers only managed three hits and two runs overall last night. Aramis Ramirez and Scooter Gennett were the only two Brewers to record hits.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers activated Scooter Gennett from the 15-day DL yesterday, the first day he was eligible to come off of the disabled list. To make room for him on the active roster, Logan Schafer was optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- A day after hiring Craig Counsell, Mark Attanasio spoke up about how the firing of Ron Roenicke and hiring of Craig Counsell played out, as well as the possibility of a team "remodel". Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com has some quotes from the Brewers owner, as well as GM Doug Melvin.
- In today's most depressing article of the day, Dave Cameron of FanGraphs calls the Brewers season over and makes the case for trading Jonathan Lucroy.
- Meanwhile, Steven Jewell of Reviewing the Brew builds off of the article by Dave Cameron and says that holding on to Lucroy through a rebuild is a mistake.
- Over on Baseball Prospectus, J.P. Breen looks at what Ryan Braun's rough performance in April means going forward.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||9-16||Colorado Springs 6, Memphis 4||Colorado Springs @ Memphis|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||16-9||OFF||Mississippi vs. Biloxi (@ Mississippi)|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||12-13||Brevard County 2, Clearwater 1||Brevard County @ Clearwater|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||8-18||Cedar Rapids 7, Wisconsin 3||Cedar Rapids @ Wisconsin|
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that Brooks Hall and Clint Coulter were named Brewers pitcher and player of the month, respectively.
- The Shuck Dynasty blog continued their look at the Southern League with an overview of how other teams in the league are doing.
- The Mississippi Braves are helping the displaced Biloxi Shuckers fans feel welcome. In the first series between teams from the state of Mississippi, the Braves are offering any fans wearing Biloxi Shuckers gear free admission to any game in the series. Biloxi will serve as the home team for this series.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at the first month of the minor league season, with a focus on who has been doing well and who could see time in the majors this year.
- Reviewing the Brew has farm reports for both the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and the Brevard County Manatees.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Reds (Mike Leake) @ Pirates (Gerrit Cole) - 6:05 pm
- Cubs (Jon Lester) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 7:15 pm
- The Blue Jays designated LHP Jayson Aquino for assignment, optioned utility player Jonathan Diaz, and added outfielder Chris Colabello to the active roster.
- The Cubs designated RHP Blake Parker for assignment and selected the contract of LHP James Russell.
- The Indians activated outfielder Nick Swisher from the DL and optioned outfielder Tyler Holt.
- The Marlins released catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. He was in the second year of a three-year, $21 million contract that he signed prior to last season.
- The Mets optioned third baseman Eric Campbell and selected the contract of catcher Johnny Monell.
- The Nationals acquired outfielder Darin Mastroianni from the Phillies in exchange for cash.
- The Padres placed RHP Brandon Morrow on the DL with right shoulder inflammation and recalled LHP Frank Garces.
- The Rangers claimed LHP Mike Kickham off of waivers from the Mariners and transferred outfielder Ryan Rua to the 60-day DL.
The Brewers continue their series with the Dodgers with game three tonight. Wily Peralta gets the start for the Brewers, while the Dodgers will call up Joe Wieland to make the start for them. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.