Considering where the Brewers were at the start of the week, a series split against the Dodgers seems like a great result. However, the last game of the series left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. Despite throwing an immaculate inning, Mike Fiers didn't have a good day. He allowed five runs on five hits, five walks, and eight strikeouts. The bullpen didn't fare much better. Jeremy Jeffress allowed two runs in an inning, Rob Wooten allowed five runs in 1 2/3 innings, and Jonathan Broxton allowed two runs in 1/3 of an inning. Only Neal Cotts had a clean inning. On offense, Adam Lind hit his team-leading sixth home run and was the only Brewer with multiple hits. Gerardo Parra also knocked in two runs in the loss.
Brewers News & Notes
- The one bright spot of Mike Fiers start yesterday was the immaculate inning he threw in the fourth. It was the fourth inning thrown by a Brewer in team history, and 79th overall in MLB.
- Following yesterday's game, Rob Wooten was optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs, and the contract of Brandon Kintzler was selected. The Brewers had an open 40-man spot after losing Luis Jimenez on waivers.
- The number of home runs that the pitching staff is allowing is killing the Brewers. Adam McCalvy notes that the Brewers lead the league in home runs allowed at 42, and is on pace to set both a team record and potentially an MLB record for home runs allowed in a season.
- Some names have been thrown around as potential trading chips for the Brewers, but one we didn't expect to hear was Scooter Gennett. Kyle Lesniewski of Reviewing the Brew notes that the Angels were interested in Gennett during the winter.
- Doug Melvin's contract remains a point of conversation following the dismissal of Ron Roenicke, with some demanding that he be fired as well. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker is on the other side of this, putting together a defense for keeping Doug Melvin.
- Last night, the Wisconsin Sports Awards were held in Kohler, WI. Lori Nickels of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Jonathan Lucroy received an award for his work with several different causes for veterans and kids.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||9-18||Memphis 2, Colorado Springs 1||
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Iowa
Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Iowa
Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Iowa
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||17-10||Mississippi 4, Biloxi 0||
Friday: Mississippi vs. Biloxi (@ Mississippi)
Saturday: Mississippi vs. Biloxi (@ Mississippi)
Sunday: Mississippi vs. Biloxi (@ Mississippi)
|Brevard County Space Explorers||A+||13-14||Brevard County 8, Tampa 4||
Friday: Tampa @ Brevard County
Saturday: Tampa @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||8-20||Quad Cities 4, Wisconsin 1||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities
NL Central Update
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Pirates
Friday: Michael Wacha vs. Francisco Liriano - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Carlos Martinez vs. Vance Worley - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Tyler Lyons vs. Jeff Locke - 12:35 pm
- Reds @ White Sox
Friday: Jason Marquis vs. Hector Noesi - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Johnny Cueto vs. Carlos Rodon - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Michael Lorenzen vs. John Danks - 1:10 pm
- The Astros designated infielder Ronald Torreyes for assignment and recalled outfielder Preston Tucker.
- The Athletics designated RHP Chad Smith for assignment and recalled RHP Fernando Rodriguez.
- The Diamondbacks are expected to sign catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia once he clears waivers.
- First baseman/outfielder Mike Carp has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Dodgers.
- The Red Sox fired pitching coach Juan Nieves and designated RHP Edward Mujica for assignment.
- The Royals acquired catcher Drew Butera from the Angels for infielder Ryan Jackson. Also, Royals reliever Kelvin Herrera had his seven-game suspension cut to six games and began serving it on Thursday.
- White Sox starting pitcher Chris Sale dropped his appeal of a five-game suspension and began serving it on Thursday.
- The MLB Draft is about a month away, and the mock drafts are starting to come out. Kiley McDaniel of FanGraphs has one of the first, predicting that Vanderbuilt shortstop Dansby Swanson will be selected with the #1 pick.
- With Reds reliever Kevin Gregg off to a poor start, some Reds fans have found an interesting way to blow off some steam. Chris Cwik of Big League Stew notes that there is a petition on change.org to have Gregg sent to the minor leagues.
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers continue their ten-game home stand with a three-game series against the Cubs this weekend. Here are the starting matchups for each game in the series.
Friday: Jason Hammel vs. Jimmy Nelson - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Travis Wood vs. Kyle Lohse - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Kyle Hendricks vs. Matt Garza - 1:10 pm