Following last week's draft, the Brewers have taken a step forward in getting this year's draft class ready to go. Yesterday, three of the Brewers draft picks were in Milwaukee to take their physicals and sign their contracts. First-round pick Trent Clark, second-round pick Cody Pnce, and third-round pick Nash Walters were all in Milwaukee and were introduced at a press conference yesterday. Trent Clark and Nash Walters are heading to Arizona, while Cody Ponce is going to Helena. It's their first steps through the system, that will hopefully start at rookie ball and end around five years later in Milwaukee. We won't know if these were good choices for a few years, but these players will get their chance to make it to the majors.
Kyle Lohse's descent this year just continued on Monday night. He allowed five earned runs in five innings on five hits, two walks, and two strikeouts. Meanwhile, the final score doesn't show how much of a blowout this game was. The Royals led 8-2 at one point. Jonathan Lucroy did drive in three runs on two hits in the loss, and Martin Maldonado had a pinch hit that drove in two runs.
Brewers News & Notes
- Derek posted his series preview yesterday on the four-game home/home Royals series.
- Ned Yost returned to Miller Park yesterday for the first time since he was fired back in 2008. Mike Bauman of MLB.com notes that Yost believes he is a better manager now because of the time he spent in Milwaukee, and doesn't have any bitterness towards the team.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker continued his series on "smartbuilding" by looking at the rebuilding process that the New York Mets have taken.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox
|Oklahoma City 5, Colorado Springs 2
|Oklahoma City @ Colorado Springs
|Biloxi 2, Mississippi 1
|Brevard County Manatees
|Brevard County 4, Jupiter 0
|Jupiter @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
|Wisconsin 7, Bowling Green 3
|Wisconsin @ Kane County
|DSL Pirates 6, DSL Brewers 5
|DSL Brewers @ DSL Yankees2
News & Notes
- The Brewer Nation blog has the full preliminary roster for the Helena Brewers. Helena begins their season on June 18, with the AZL Brewers starting on June 20.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals 3, Twins 2
- Pirates 11, White Sox 0
- Tigers 6, Reds 0
- Indians @ Cubs (PPD - Rain)
Today's Division Games
- Twins (Kyle Gibson) @ Cardinals (Michael Wacha) - 12:45 pm
- White Sox (Jose Quintana) @ Pirates (Charlie Morton) - 6:05 pm
- Reds (Michael Lorenzen) @ Tigers (Kyle Ryan) - 6:08 pm
- Indians (Trevor Bauer) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 7:05 pm
- The Cubs will promote catcher/outfielder Kyle Schwarber today to serve as a DH during interleague play.
- The Mariners announced that RHP Kevin Gregg has opted out of his minor-league contract.
- The Mets designated RHP Dillon Gee for assignment and outrighted Kirk Nieuwenhuis to Triple-A Las Vegas.
- The Rays signed outfielder Grady Sizemore to a minor-league contract.
- The Red Sox designated infielder Jeff Bianchi for assignment.
- The Padres became the third team to fire their manager on Monday, firing Bud Black after nine years with the team. An interim manager will be named in the next few days.
- Are the Royals fans hurting their own team by stuffing the ballot boxes? Mike Oz of Big League Stew notes that as a result of Royals fans, the worst hitter in baseball could be named as an All-Star.
- What is too far when it comes to improving your favorite team? Would you promote a pitcher that has intentionally thrown at batters' heads? Mike Bates of MLB Daily Dish asks that question, as the Twins face that exact scenario with minor-league pitcher Lester Oliveros.
- There's a report going around this morning that the Cardinals are being investigated by the FBI for hacking into the Astros systems. I'm sure you haven't heard much about it yet, so Noah has some details for you about the investigation.
The Brewers finish the home part of the four-game series with the Royals tonight at Miller Park. Chris Young faces Matt Garza in tonight's matchup. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.