What was originally expected to need a day or two of rest has turned into a more concerning injury for Carlos Gomez. He was out of the lineup again yesterday, a day after he had returned as the DH. Craig Counsell said that the reason Gomez was held out was because wasn't running well and isn't making progress in his recovery. Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes that with the injury not healing well, Counsell is considering holding Gomez out all weekend, and maybe even placing him on the disabled list. The team does not want to chance the injury getting any worse, and a trip to the DL may be in order to make sure he gets back to 100%
The losing streak reached six games, but at least it didn't look as bad this time. The Royals got to Jimmy Nelson early, scoring three runs in the first two innings. However, Nelson calmed down after that and allowed no more runs over five total innings of work. The Brewers did try to rally, scoring two in the fifth to close the score to 3-2. However, they couldn't get past the Royals bullpen and lost again.
Brewers News & Notes
- Many of us have big bobblehead collections after the Brewers have given away several bobbleheads in the past few years. Looking through that collection, can you put together a starting lineup? That's the question we asked yesterday, asking you to post your best lineups by bobbleheads.
- White Braun's bat has quieted down over the last two weeks following a second cryotherapy procedure on his thumb, Braun tells Adam McCalvy that he is feeling fine, and that it's just a quiet streak that hits any player during the season.
- The Brewers announced that a few more draft picks had been signed yesterday, led by fourth round pick Demi Orimoloye. First round pick Nathan Kirby remains the highest unsigned pick.
- In his short time with the team, Shane Peterson has impressed the Brewers with his glove. Adam McCalvy notes that the former first baseman has made some impressive plays in his time with the team.
- Prior to yesterday's game, a few of the Brewers took a tour of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. Cait Covers the Bases has some highlights from the trip.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox
|New Orleans 9, Colorado Springs 2
Friday: New Orleans @ Colorado Springs
Saturday: New Orleans @ Colorado Springs
Sunday: New Orleans @ Colorado Springs
|Montgomery 11, Biloxi 5
Friday: Montgomery @ Biloxi
Saturday: Montgomery @ Biloxi
Sunday: Montgomery @ Biloxi
|Brevard County Manatees
|Jupiter 2, Brevard County 1
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
|Kane County 2, Wisconsin 1
Friday: Wisconsin vs. Beloit (@ Miller Park)
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
|DSL Mets2 @ DSL Brewers (PPD)
Friday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Mets2
Saturday: DSL Brewers @ DSL RedSox2
|Missoula 8, Helena 6
Friday: Missoula @ Helena
Saturday: Helena @ Great Falls
Sunday: Great Falls @ Helena
Saturday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Cubs
Sunday: AZL Angels @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- Pitching coach Fred Dabney of Colorado Springs will represent the Sky Sox during the Pacific Coast League All-Star Game as the team pitching coach.
NL Central Update
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Phillies
Friday: Tyler Lyons vs. Phillippe Aumont - 6:05 pm
Saturday: John Lackey vs. Aaron Harang - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Michael Wacha vs. TBD - 12:35 pm
- Pirates @ Nationals
Friday: A.J. Burnett vs. Joe Ross - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Francisco Liriano vs. Max Scherzer - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Charlie Morton vs. Gio Gonzalez - 12:35 pm
- Cubs @ Twins
Friday: Kyle Hendricks vs. Phil Hughes - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Jon Lester vs. Trevor May - 1:10 pm
Sunday: Jake Arrieta vs. Kyle Gibson - 1:10 pm
- Marlins @ Reds
Friday: Dan Haren vs. Mike Leake - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Tom Koehler vs. Anthony DeSclafani - 6:10 pm
Sunday: David Phelps vs. Michael Lorenzen - 12:10 pm
- Infielder Maicer Izturis of the Blue Jays is expected to miss the remainder of the 2015 season following shoulder surgery.
- Indians outfielder Michael Bourn has been suspended for 1 game for making contact with an umpire. Also, RHP Jhoulys Chacin of the Indians has opted out of his minor-league contract, and RHP Shaum Marcum was designated for assignment.
- Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval was benched for one game for using his cell phone during a game.
- Reds RHP Jon Moscot will have surgery on his left shoulder and miss the remainder of the 2015 season.
- The Royals placed starting pitcher Yordano Ventura on the 15-day DL with inflammation of the right ulnar nerve.
- The Twins released outfielder Jordan Schafer.
- The White Sox designated RHP Hector Noesi for assignment and recalled RHP Scott Carroll.
- With trade rumors starting to heat up, members of the Phillies decided to pull a prank on the media and emptied Hamels' locker before the clubhouse was opened to the media.
- Did The Simpsons predict the Cardinals hacking scandal? Probably not, but Chris Cwik of Big League Stew does remind us that there was an episode where MLB was spying on people and a member of the Cardinals made an appearance.
- On a more serious note, Astros GM Jeff Lunhow is refuting the idea of old passwords being behind the breach, saying that he and his staff knows well about proper password usage. Meanwhile, Peter Gammons says that MLB needs to come down hard on the Cardinals, regardless of how much upper management was aware of it.
- In the wake of the shooting in Charleston on Wednesday, the local Single-A team played Thursday and donated the proceeds from the game to a local charity.
The Brewers get a break from the schedule of top opponents...with a trip to Coors Field. Earlier today, Derek posted a series preview for the three-game set. Here are the pitching matchups for the weekend.
Friday: Taylor Jungmann vs. Jorge De La Rosa - 7:40 pm
Saturday: Kyle Lohse vs. Chad Bettis - 3:10 pm
Sunday: Matt Garza vs. Chris Rusin - 3:10 pm